Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Next storm looms as B.C. cleans up from bomb cyclone. What's behind the foul weather?

Next storm looms as B.C. cleans up from bomb cyclone. What's behind the foul weather?
A new storm system is bearing down on British Columbia and is expected to bring another blast of potentially damaging winds, as the province continues to clean up from this week's powerful bomb cyclone. Environment Canada has issued a fresh round of special weather statements ahead of the storm's expected arrival on Friday, covering Vancouver Island, the Sunshine and Central coasts, and Howe Sound where winds up to 90 km/h are forecast.

Next storm looms as B.C. cleans up from bomb cyclone. What's behind the foul weather?

Car theft in Prince George

Car theft in Prince George
Prince George R-C-M-P want to identify a suspect in a theft on Monday from a car in a local parking lot. Police say he a took a bag containing clothing and other personal items worth over one-thousand-dollars in the lot in the 300-block of Victoria Street.

Car theft in Prince George

Early ski season for resorts

Early ski season for resorts
Several ski resorts across B-C -- including Whistler-Blackcomb, Big White and Cypress Mountain -- are starting their season early thanks to fresh powder. Big White says the resort outside Kelowna is set to open tomorrow, six days ahead of schedule, with an alpine base of 104-centimetres.

Early ski season for resorts

Cariboo Gold Mine in Wells gets approval, but a First Nation is opposed

Cariboo Gold Mine in Wells gets approval, but a First Nation is opposed
An operating permit has been granted for the Cariboo Gold Mine in central British Columbia, a project that's expected to process 1.1 million tonnes of gold-bearing ore a year but is still opposed by a First Nation. The B.C. government says in a news release that Barkerville Gold Mines, owned by Osisko Development Corp., was issued the permit for the underground mine in a process that took 13 months to complete. 

Cariboo Gold Mine in Wells gets approval, but a First Nation is opposed

Border agency detained dozens of 'forced labour' cargo shipments. Now it's being sued

Border agency detained dozens of 'forced labour' cargo shipments. Now it's being sued
The Canada Border Services Agency provided the figures after being asked about a lawsuit against it by a Victoria solar firm, which says a shipment of solar panels worth more than $5 million was wrongfully detained over false suspicions they were made with forced labour in China. 

Border agency detained dozens of 'forced labour' cargo shipments. Now it's being sued

Consul general reiterates he had no influence on $9M Manhattan condo purchase

Consul general reiterates he had no influence on $9M Manhattan condo purchase
Tom Clark was summoned back to testify before a parliamentary committee looking into the purchase after media reports earlier this month indicated he had raised concerns about the former residence, despite previously saying he never expressed a desire to move into a new one.

Consul general reiterates he had no influence on $9M Manhattan condo purchase