Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Parliament remains gridlocked amid Trump trade talk and postal strike

Parliament remains gridlocked amid Trump trade talk and postal strike
Parliament closes in on its eighth week of gridlock over a privilege motion, as Canada Post employees are on strike and calls emerge to exclude Mexico from upcoming trade talks. While question period has continued, other house business is on hold due to a Conservative privilege motion calling on the government to turn over unredacted documents on a green technology fund.

Parliament remains gridlocked amid Trump trade talk and postal strike

Police say death of young woman found in Halifax Walmart walk-in oven not suspicious

Police say death of young woman found in Halifax Walmart walk-in oven not suspicious
The death of a young Halifax woman whose body was recently found in a Walmart's walk-in oven was not suspicious and did not involve foul play, police said Monday. The death of the 19-year-old employee in the store's bakery was reported on Oct. 19.

Police say death of young woman found in Halifax Walmart walk-in oven not suspicious

Avian flu detected in additional Abbotsford and Chilliwack flocks: CFIA

Avian flu detected in additional Abbotsford and Chilliwack flocks: CFIA
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says it has detected the presence of highly pathogenic avian influenza in commercial poultry at additional locations in two British Columbia cities. The agency says the flu has been detected at two more premises in Abbotsford and Chilliwack, both of which have seen multiple cases since October. 

Avian flu detected in additional Abbotsford and Chilliwack flocks: CFIA

Stabbing assault in Surrey

Stabbing assault in Surrey
Mounties in Surrey say they are looking for the public’s help to identify a suspect who reportedly stabbed two youths last week.  Police say they responded to reports of the stabbing in the afternoon of November 14th in the city’s Newton neighbourhood, finding two injured youths. 

Stabbing assault in Surrey

Vancouver Island doctors set up overdose prevention sites without government blessing

Vancouver Island doctors set up overdose prevention sites without government blessing
Doctors on Vancouver Island say they're setting up unsanctioned overdose prevention sites on the grounds of Nanaimo General and Royal Jubilee hospitals this week because the B.C. government hasn't lived up to its promise to set aside space for the sites. Dr. Jess Wilder, an addictions and family medicine practitioner in Nanaimo, says her work has been mired in "controversy and politicization" lately, and setting up overdose prevention sites is "about saving lives." 

Vancouver Island doctors set up overdose prevention sites without government blessing

Trial begins for men accused in migrants' deaths near Manitoba border crossing

Trial begins for men accused in migrants' deaths near Manitoba border crossing
Jury selection is underway in the trial of two men accused of smuggling migrants across the Canada-U. S. border. Harshkumar Ramanlal Patel and Steve Shand are accused of being part of operation that brought people from India to Canada, then across the border from Manitoba to Minnesota.

Trial begins for men accused in migrants' deaths near Manitoba border crossing