Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. port employers release details of final offer to foremen union ahead of lockout

B.C. port employers release details of final offer to foremen union ahead of lockout
The BC Maritime Employers Association has released the details of its final offer to the union representing more than 700 foremen ahead of a looming lockout on Monday. The offer, which is dated Wednesday and addressed to International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 President Frank Morena, was released publicly on Saturday. 

B.C. port employers release details of final offer to foremen union ahead of lockout

Environment Canada issues weather warnings for B.C. coast, mountain passes

Environment Canada issues weather warnings for B.C. coast, mountain passes
Environment Canada says strong winds and heavy rain are expected overnight and into Monday for British Columbia's south coast. The weather agency says lower amounts are expected elsewhere across the region. It says strong southeast winds are also expected overnight before becoming "very strong west to northwest winds" on Monday.

Environment Canada issues weather warnings for B.C. coast, mountain passes

String of robberies in Surrey

String of robberies in Surrey
Police in Surrey say they're investigating a series of residential robberies believed to be linked to similar break-and-enter incidents in other areas of the Lower Mainland. Surrey RCMP say the suspects work in a team of three, targeting large, single-family homes that are unoccupied at the time, often between 5 and 9 p-m.

String of robberies in Surrey

B.C. port employers issue lockout notice in labour dispute with foremen union

B.C. port employers issue lockout notice in labour dispute with foremen union
Ports in British Columbia are waking up to the possibility of another provincewide labour disruption as employers say they will lock out members of the union representing more than 700 foremen after it served a strike notice. The BC Maritime Employers Association says in a statement that it has issued a formal notice that it will "defensively" lock out members of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 starting Monday at 8 a.m.

B.C. port employers issue lockout notice in labour dispute with foremen union

Man flees to India in AP Dhillon shooting

Man flees to India in AP Dhillon shooting
Mounties on Vancouver Island say a man has been arrested in Ontario and another is believed to have fled to India after shots were fired at a home in Greater Victoria last month. Property records show the home is owned by Punjabi music star A-P Dhillon, who posted on Instagram after the shooting that he was safe.

Man flees to India in AP Dhillon shooting

Vancouver confirms CRAB Park temporary sheltering area will close next week

Vancouver confirms CRAB Park temporary sheltering area will close next week
The City of Vancouver says the remaining seven residents of an encampment at a Downtown Eastside park have a week to pack up their belongings and leave, or they must remove their tents each day as the area returns to regular daytime use. A statement from the city says people may continue sheltering at CRAB Park overnight, but structures must be taken down by 8 a.m. each day starting Nov. 7.

Vancouver confirms CRAB Park temporary sheltering area will close next week