Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

4 Sea-Doos stolen: Richmond RCMP

4 Sea-Doos stolen: Richmond RCMP
Richmond R-C-M-P say they're investigating after four Sea-Doos were stolen in a two-week period. They say the watercraft were taken from marinas located in the Moray Bridge area.

4 Sea-Doos stolen: Richmond RCMP

B.C. Conservatives stand by candidate who called Palestinian children 'inbred'

B.C. Conservatives stand by candidate who called Palestinian children 'inbred'
Conservatives Leader John Rustad says he has accepted the apology of Surrey South candidate Brent Chapman and won't ask him to step down, but Eby says a candidate engaged in such speech should be fired. Chapman's comments in a series of social media posts about 10 years ago are resurfacing days ahead of the Oct. 19 provincial election.

B.C. Conservatives stand by candidate who called Palestinian children 'inbred'

BC Coroners Service says no record of fatal overdose where Rustad says he saw man die

BC Coroners Service says no record of fatal overdose where Rustad says he saw man die
Rustad told Tuesday's party leaders' debate that he saw someone die "from an overdose" on the corner of Robson and Hornby streets in Vancouver, later telling a news conference he watched first responders "pumping his chest" as an ambulance arrived.

BC Coroners Service says no record of fatal overdose where Rustad says he saw man die

Eby says he'll focus on NDP's record in B.C., but can't resist more digs at Rustad

Eby says he'll focus on NDP's record in B.C., but can't resist more digs at Rustad
But in his first scheduled appearance after the sole televised debate of the closely fought election, Eby repeatedly turned back to his opponent, saying B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad was "vague" about his plans, and pointed out again that the B.C. Conservatives had not released their costed platform.

Eby says he'll focus on NDP's record in B.C., but can't resist more digs at Rustad

Winnipeg man charged with human smuggling after SUV stopped near Canada-U.S. border

Winnipeg man charged with human smuggling after SUV stopped near Canada-U.S. border
Mounties in Manitoba say they have charged a man with human smuggling and arrested six others near the Canada-United States border. RCMP say investigators became aware of an incursion happening near Emerson, Man., on the night of Sept. 28.

Winnipeg man charged with human smuggling after SUV stopped near Canada-U.S. border

Foreign affairs minister urges Canadians to leave Florida ahead of devastating storm

Foreign affairs minister urges Canadians to leave Florida ahead of devastating storm
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says Canadians in Florida should leave and people planning to travel there should postpone as the state braces for the impact of Hurricane Milton. The storm was downgraded this morning to a Category 4 but is expected to bring deadly storm surge, rain and winds.

Foreign affairs minister urges Canadians to leave Florida ahead of devastating storm