Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Shots fired at Punjabi singer AP Dhillon's Victoria house

Shots fired at Punjabi singer AP Dhillon's Victoria house
Police say someone set fire to two vehicles and fired multiple shots at a Victoria-area home owned by Indo-Canadian musician A-P Dhillon. Mounties say they were called to the home in Colwood early yesterday morning.

Shots fired at Punjabi singer AP Dhillon's Victoria house

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree
Police in Nanaimo say they've arrested a man who was armed with a machete during an alleged crime spree that included a series of break-ins, chasing and attacking residents and stealing a car from a driveway. Nanaimo RCMP say the attacks happened on Monday afternoon, when police began receiving calls about a man using a machete to break into homes.

Man arrested in Nanaimo for alleged machete crime spree

B.C. Conservatives add, subtract candidates, as some complain of BC United moving in

B.C. Conservatives add, subtract candidates, as some complain of BC United moving in
Some former candidates complained that the Conservatives were being infiltrated by the Official Opposition — whose leader Kevin Falcon ended his party's campaign last Wednesday — and at least one said they planned to run as an independent.

B.C. Conservatives add, subtract candidates, as some complain of BC United moving in

BBB warns businesses regarding phishing

BBB warns businesses regarding phishing
The Better Business Bureau is calling for businesses to be vigilant after a series of reported phishing attacks. The B-B-B says it has received calls from a number of B-C businesses about attempts made through e-mail or text to give up trademark information.

BBB warns businesses regarding phishing

Alleged arrest in series of crimes

Alleged arrest in series of crimes
Nanaimo R-C-M-P say a man has been arrested after allegedly committing a series of crimes over the long weekend including stealing and crashing a car. Police say they received calls yesterday afternoon of the suspect wielding a machete and breaking windows while assaulting people in the 21-hundred block of Duggan Road.

Alleged arrest in series of crimes

Transit workers for Metro Vancouver HandyDART service to rally after strike begins

Transit workers for Metro Vancouver HandyDART service to rally after strike begins
Most HandyDART trips in Metro Vancouver have been cancelled as unionized workers for the specialized transit service begin a strike. Regional transport provider TransLink says in an online notice that most HandyDART trips are cancelled due to the job action but the service is still available for people with medical conditions who need to get to appointments for cancer, renal or multiple sclerosis treatments.

Transit workers for Metro Vancouver HandyDART service to rally after strike begins