Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey female assaulted in her sleep

Surrey female assaulted in her sleep
Surrey RCMP say they are looking for a male suspect after he allegedly got into the residence of a woman and groped the victim in her sleep. Police say officers responded to the call on Saturday morning in the 141-hundred block of 91 Avenue.

Surrey female assaulted in her sleep

Motorcyclist killed in crash with fire truck in Vancouver

Motorcyclist killed in crash with fire truck in Vancouver
A motorcyclist has died after a collision involving a Vancouver fire truck responding to a call. Vancouver Fire Rescue Services say in a statement that the crash happened this afternoon near Lost Lagoon on the Stanley Park Causeway.

Motorcyclist killed in crash with fire truck in Vancouver

Interior residents get ready to flee as B.C. fire tally soars past 300

Interior residents get ready to flee as B.C. fire tally soars past 300
It's the first time The Inn at Spences Bridge has been empty since April. Dorothy Boragno, who owns the inn with her husband Michael Findlay, said Friday they watched thick smoke across the Thompson River from the out-of-control Shetland Creek wildfire that has already forced others to evacuate.

Interior residents get ready to flee as B.C. fire tally soars past 300

B.C. hospitals pivot to paper amid CrowdStrike global technology outage

B.C. hospitals pivot to paper amid CrowdStrike global technology outage
About 50,000 devices in British Columbia hospitals and health facilities were impacted by the CrowdStrike global technology outage, forcing staff to pivot to using paper to manage everything from lab work to meal orders, the province's health minister said.  Adrian Dix said experts began immediately working on the problem, which has impacted computers running Microsoft Windows, and that the systems are beginning to come back online.

B.C. hospitals pivot to paper amid CrowdStrike global technology outage

Body of missing B.C. teenager found in Surrey, RCMP say death is suspicious

Body of missing B.C. teenager found in Surrey, RCMP say death is suspicious
Homicide investigators are looking into the death of a Langley teenager whose body was found in the Port Kells area of Surrey. Surrey RCMP say the body of 17-year-old Wenyan Michael Zhao was found in the 17900-block of 99A Avenue at 5:30 a.m. Friday.

Body of missing B.C. teenager found in Surrey, RCMP say death is suspicious

Proposed class-action lawsuit filed over Calgary water main break

Proposed class-action lawsuit filed over Calgary water main break
A proposed class-action lawsuit has been filed against the City of Calgary, claiming businesses needlessly lost significant revenue due to a water main break. In a statement of claim filed Wednesday, Angel's Cafe, located near the June 5 water main rupture, alleges the city knew the failed pipe was made of lower-grade materials and should have moved to prevent the failure.

Proposed class-action lawsuit filed over Calgary water main break