Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges
On May 4 of last year Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a sexual assault.  On July 2nd, 59-year-old Ajastar Singh was charged with sexual assault and sexual interference of a person under the age of 16 years.

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges

Calgary says decision on lifting outdoor water ban coming Monday

Calgary says decision on lifting outdoor water ban coming Monday
A Calgary official says the city is set to announce Monday whether it's ready to lift its mandatory ban on outdoor watering. The ban has been in place since a major water feeder main burst on June 5.

Calgary says decision on lifting outdoor water ban coming Monday

Strange summer for B.C. politics gone wild, as alliances shift ahead of fall vote

Strange summer for B.C. politics gone wild, as alliances shift ahead of fall vote
A shakeup of seismic proportions is reshaping the British Columbia political landscape a little over three months ahead of this fall's Oct. 19 election. Former political foes are forging once unimaginable unions, an established party faces annihilation at the ballot box and heavyweights from the ruling New Democrats have waited until summer to announce their retirements.

Strange summer for B.C. politics gone wild, as alliances shift ahead of fall vote

Drivers reminded of road safety

Drivers reminded of road safety
The B-C Coroners Service is reminding drivers of a number of safety tips after a week that saw several fatal crashes in the province. It says there were 19 accidental deaths due to motor vehicle crashes between July 5th and 10th, with 12 of those deaths happening in three of the incidents.

Drivers reminded of road safety

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria
A man has been charged after a paramedic was assaulted while responding to a call in Victoria. City police say it happened last night when a man began hitting and kicking a paramedic in the face as they tried to medically assist him.

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria

Canada's NATO defence spending pledge amounts to $60 billion a year by 2032: minister

Canada's NATO defence spending pledge amounts to $60 billion a year by 2032: minister
Defence Minister Bill Blair is defending Canada's spending promise at the NATO leaders' summit in Washington, D.C., as critics throw cold water on the government's new pledge to meet the two per cent target by 2032. "That number didn’t sort of just come out of the air," Blair said Friday after returning to Toronto. "It came out of a lot of hard work."

Canada's NATO defence spending pledge amounts to $60 billion a year by 2032: minister