Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Premier David Eby welcomes baby girl

B.C. Premier David Eby welcomes baby girl
Premier David Eby's special countdown ended with the announcement of the arrival of his newborn baby on Thursday, following his early campaign start for British Columbia's election. Eby says his third daughter, Gwendolyn Kay Eby, was born happy and healthy.

B.C. Premier David Eby welcomes baby girl

Truck hits family in Edmonton crosswalk, killing three-year-old boy: police

Truck hits family in Edmonton crosswalk, killing three-year-old boy: police
Police say a three-year-old boy has died after a pickup truck hit a family crossing a street in Edmonton. Police say the truck had quickly stopped at in intersection in the city's southwest while a woman and her two young children were in a marked crosswalk.

Truck hits family in Edmonton crosswalk, killing three-year-old boy: police

Jagmeet Singh makes his case to Alberta's new NDP leader amid party separation talks

Jagmeet Singh makes his case to Alberta's new NDP leader amid party separation talks
Breaking up the federal and provincial arms of the New Democratic Party would be a mistake, federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh suggested on Thursday, as members in Alberta increasingly vocalize their desire for a separation. Singh said the federal and Alberta NDP need to remain united in their goals to bring down conservatives.

Jagmeet Singh makes his case to Alberta's new NDP leader amid party separation talks

Wounded Victoria officer recalls wild robbery shootout ahead of two-year anniversary

Wounded Victoria officer recalls wild robbery shootout ahead of two-year anniversary
Police fired more than 100 rounds in the 26 seconds that followed, killing 22-year-old twin brothers Mathew and Isaac Auchterlonie. Both men were wearing masks and body armour, and were carrying semi-automatic rifles. Police couldn't say who shot first. 

Wounded Victoria officer recalls wild robbery shootout ahead of two-year anniversary

Eligibility for Ottawa's dental plan expands to children, people with disabilities

Eligibility for Ottawa's dental plan expands to children, people with disabilities
When the government first announced people with disabilities would have access to national dental coverage this year, Antonella Giordano  really started to look forward to no longer paying out of pocket to care for her teeth. The 61-year-old Montrealer has been on disability from work for more than a decade for reasons related to her mental health.

Eligibility for Ottawa's dental plan expands to children, people with disabilities

Optimistic, but aware: wet weather easing Fort Nelson fire fears

Optimistic, but aware: wet weather easing Fort Nelson fire fears
The mayor of Fort Nelson says the community is feeling more comfortable after a week of wet weather and a downgraded drought threat, but that doesn't mean they're blind to the risk of wildfires that still exists in the region.

Optimistic, but aware: wet weather easing Fort Nelson fire fears