Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. RCMP, Squamish Search and Rescue looking for missing climbers

B.C. RCMP, Squamish Search and Rescue looking for missing climbers
A spokeswoman for Squamish Search and Rescue in British Columbia says an "active search" is underway for three experienced mountaineers who have been missing since Friday. Christy Allan says in an interview that the climbers were last seen Friday morning on Atwell Peak, located on the southern edge of Mount Garibaldi.

B.C. RCMP, Squamish Search and Rescue looking for missing climbers

Environment Canada issues rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley

Environment Canada issues rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley
Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley, with up to 60 millimetres expected by Monday morning. It says the warning comes as a moisture laden Pacific frontal system moves into the south coast of British Columbia, bringing heavy rain.

Environment Canada issues rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley

Break & Enter at a Surrey jewelry store

Break & Enter at a Surrey jewelry store
Surrey R-C-M-P say a sophisticated break and enter at a jewelry store has led to a Canada-wide warrant for one suspect. Mounties say the break-in on March 31st happened over several hours through a "sophisticated series of events using tools and other entry devices."

Break & Enter at a Surrey jewelry store

B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton dead after prison assault in Quebec

B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton dead after prison assault in Quebec
Robert Pickton, one of Canada's most notorious serial killers, died on Friday, 12 days after he was assaulted in prison. Pickton, an inmate at Port-Cartier Institution in Quebec, was 74.

B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton dead after prison assault in Quebec

Arson attack on Vancouver synagogue

Arson attack on Vancouver synagogue
BC politicians are condemning the arson attack on a Vancouver synagogue last night. Premier David Eby says in a statement posted on social media that the incident at Vancouver's Schara Tzedeck synagogue was a disgusting and reprehensible act of antisemitism that has no place in the province.

Arson attack on Vancouver synagogue

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners
British Columbia's government is tripling a program that offers free air conditioners to people with low incomes as forecasters say the province should prepare for hotter-than-normal temperatures in June. Minister of Energy Josie Osborne told a news briefing that the program, launched last year and managed by the Crown power utility, BC Hydro, had already handed out 6,000 air conditioners and the government was prepared to fund another 19,000 or so.

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners