Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

2 dead in crash east of Kamloops

2 dead in crash east of Kamloops
Mounties in the Interior say two people are dead after a crash between two semi-trucks on Highway 1 near Sorrento, east of Kamloops. Chase R-C-M-P say officers responded to the crash at 11:45 P-M and found one of the semis travelling east had failed to make a right turn, resulting in the truck flipping onto its side in the oncoming lane. 

2 dead in crash east of Kamloops

2 killed in Cloverdale crash

2 killed in Cloverdale crash
Police in Surrey are asking for anyone with dash-camera footage to come forward after a crash that killed two people in the Cloverdale neighbourhood. Surrey R-C-M-P say officers responded to the crash at around 4:40 p-m yesterday, after a Dodge Ram pickup heading east on Highway 10 crashed into a westbound Acura sedan attempting to make a left turn onto 184th Street.

2 killed in Cloverdale crash

Minimum wage going up June 1st

Minimum wage going up June 1st
B-C's minimum hourly wage is increasing to 17 dollars and 40 cents, up from 16.75. The Labour Ministry says the 3.9 per cent increase kicks in on Saturday. It says in a statement that the increase will help about 240-thousand workers in the province who currently earn less than 17.40 an hour.

Minimum wage going up June 1st

Israel close to approving Gaza reunification program before Rafah invasion: Miller

Israel close to approving Gaza reunification program before Rafah invasion: Miller
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says Israel seemed to be on the verge of approving a program to get Palestinian relatives of Canadians out of the Gaza Strip before the country's invasion of the town of Rafah. His comments come amid mounting criticism over measures introduced months ago that were meant to bring relatives of Canadians from conflict zones in the Gaza Strip and Sudan to safety.

Israel close to approving Gaza reunification program before Rafah invasion: Miller

Vancouver Island man charged with child luring and making sexual abuse material: RCMP

Vancouver Island man charged with child luring and making sexual abuse material: RCMP
Police in British Columbia say a man from Vancouver Island has been arrested and charged with child exploitation offences following a tip from American authorities. RCMP say in a statement that the B.C. Integrated Child Exploitation Unit received information from U.S. Homeland Security Investigations last September about a suspect who was allegedly exploiting children using a social media application. 

Vancouver Island man charged with child luring and making sexual abuse material: RCMP

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit
Lawyers for several Humboldt Broncos families are in court fighting a bid from the government of Saskatchewan to have it removed as a defendant in a lawsuit over the 2018 deadly bus crash. Five families are suing over the bus crash, alleging the province knew the rural intersection where it happened had problems with visibility but did nothing to fix it.

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit