Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Four Indian nationals accused of killing B.C. Sikh activist to appear in court today

Four Indian nationals accused of killing B.C. Sikh activist to appear in court today
Four Indian nationals accused in the murder of British Columbia Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar are all due in court today. Twenty-two-year-old Amandeep Singh appeared via video link for his first appearance in a Surrey, B.C., court last week, and the matter has been put forward to today. Karan Brar, Kamalpreet Singh and Karanpreet Singh, who already face the same charges following their arrests in Edmonton, are also scheduled to be in a Surrey courtroom today.

Four Indian nationals accused of killing B.C. Sikh activist to appear in court today

Trudeau making 'Team Canada' charm offensive in visit to Philadelphia

Trudeau making 'Team Canada' charm offensive in visit to Philadelphia
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is in Philadelphia today, on his first trip south of the border since his government launched a new "Team Canada" charm offensive in the United States. Officially he is in Pennsylvania after accepting an invitation to speak at the Service Employees International Union quadrennial North American convention.

Trudeau making 'Team Canada' charm offensive in visit to Philadelphia

Flight PS752 victims' families say they're not sorry to hear of Iran president death

Flight PS752 victims' families say they're not sorry to hear of Iran president death
Members of a Canadian group representing families of those killed when Iranian officials shot down Flight PS752 in January 2020 say they are not sorry to hear of the death of Iran's president. President Ebrahim Raisi and Iran's foreign minister were found dead Monday, hours after their helicopter crashed in fog.  

Flight PS752 victims' families say they're not sorry to hear of Iran president death

Meta's news ban in Canada: screenshots win, local news loses, study shows

Meta's news ban in Canada: screenshots win, local news loses, study shows
National news outlets lost about 64 per cent of the engagement previously generated by users on their Facebook pages, the preliminary research shows.  Local news outlets lost about 85 per cent of their Facebook engagement, the study says, and almost half of all local news outlets stopped posting on Facebook entirely in the four months following the ban. 

Meta's news ban in Canada: screenshots win, local news loses, study shows

Environment Canada warns of snowfall and hazardous driving on B.C. Interior highways

Environment Canada warns of snowfall and hazardous driving on B.C. Interior highways
Environment Canada is warning drivers about snow on some southern British Columbia mountain passes that may cause sudden hazardous driving conditions. The weather office issued special weather statements Tuesday morning for the Coquihalla Highway, Allison Pass, Okanagan Connector, and Kootenay Pass.

Environment Canada warns of snowfall and hazardous driving on B.C. Interior highways

B.C. mayor warns against videos of properties destroyed by fire outside Fort Nelson

B.C. mayor warns against videos of properties destroyed by fire outside Fort Nelson
Northern Rockies Regional Municipality Mayor Rob Fraser said it was "insensitive" and "unconscionable" that images of properties destroyed by the Parker Lake wildfire outside Fort Nelson had been shared before owners were told of the damage by authorities.

B.C. mayor warns against videos of properties destroyed by fire outside Fort Nelson