Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Jobless rate reaches 6.8% in November, highest since January 2017 outside of pandemic

Jobless rate reaches 6.8% in November, highest since January 2017 outside of pandemic
Statistics Canada’s November labour force survey says the jobless rate last month reached the highest since January 2017, outside of the COVID-19 pandemic. The unemployment rate was 6.5 per cent in October. Meanwhile, the economy added 51,000 jobs in November, with employment gains concentrated in full-time work and the public sector.

Jobless rate reaches 6.8% in November, highest since January 2017 outside of pandemic

B.C. children's minister stepping away from role after colorectal cancer diagnosis

B.C. children's minister stepping away from role after colorectal cancer diagnosis
British Columbia's Minister of Children and Family Development Grace Lore says she has been diagnosed with colorectal cancer and is temporarily stepping away from her role as minister. Lore said in a statement that she intends to participate in important votes in the legislature to ensure the stability of the NDP government, which holds a slim majority of one vote.

B.C. children's minister stepping away from role after colorectal cancer diagnosis

Brown: Indian diplomat pushed back when he used the words "Sikh nation"

Brown: Indian diplomat pushed back when he used the words
Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown said foreign interference did not tip the scales in the Conservative party's last leadership race that installed Pierre Poilievre at the helm. But he offered up Thursday that he changed some of the language he was using after getting pushback from an Indian diplomat that some of his comments could sound like he was endorsing ideas of Sikh nationalism.

Brown: Indian diplomat pushed back when he used the words "Sikh nation"

Home targeted in Abbotsford shooting

Home targeted in Abbotsford shooting
Police in Abbotsford are looking for a third suspect after a home was shot at this morning. Investigators say were no injuries reported and it's believed the incident to be targeted.

Home targeted in Abbotsford shooting

Feds outlaw another 324 types of firearms, propose donating guns to Ukraine

Feds outlaw another 324 types of firearms, propose donating guns to Ukraine
The move follows the May 2020 ban of 1,500 makes and models of firearms, a number that grew to more than 2,000 by November of this year as new variants were identified. 

Feds outlaw another 324 types of firearms, propose donating guns to Ukraine

Burnaby man sentenced for smuggling handgun

Burnaby man sentenced for smuggling handgun
A Burnaby man has been sentenced to five years in prison for trying to smuggle a Glock-style handgun and two prohibited magazines into Canada. Canada Border Services Agency says Russell Major was stopped at the Peace Arch Border Crossing in Surrey and a secondary search found the items.

Burnaby man sentenced for smuggling handgun