Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 01:02 PM
  • Canada settles class-action lawsuit by military members who alleged racism in uniform

The federal government has settled a class-action lawsuit with military members who were subjected to racism during their time in the Armed Forces. 

The settlement is worth up to $150 million, and individual payments will range from $5,000 to $35,000. 

The claimants are people who served in the Canadian Armed Forces between April 1985 and Jan. 10, and experienced racism while in uniform. 

Anyone eligible for the settlement has the option of getting a personalized letter of apology from the chief of the defence staff. 

The settlement also includes a pledge to make systemic changes to the Armed Forces' culture.

In a written statement, Defence Minister Bill Blair says racism in the workplace erodes the cohesiveness of an effective military and says he's pleased the settlement was approved by the Federal Court.

"Our institution supports this settlement as it demonstrates the commitment to ensuring that we provide our CAF members with a psychologically safe and inclusive workplace, where one can reach their full potential," Blair said. 

The Canadian military has also been sued by its own members over sexual misconduct and discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.

In 2019, the Canadian government settled a $900-million class-action lawsuit with veterans and military members who experienced sexual misconduct in the Armed Forces. 

More than 23,000 people have received compensation in that claim. 

Survivors of the LGBTQ Purge settled a lawsuit with the government in 2018 for $145 million. 

A separate group of military members and veterans have sued the Armed Forces, alleging they faced discrimination and stigmatization because of their mental health.

The Federal Court also approved an $817-million settlement last year with veterans whose disability pensions were not properly calculated. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Explosion destroys Calgary townhouse, four people injured

Explosion destroys Calgary townhouse, four people injured
The Calgary Fire Department says investigators are working to find out what caused a townhouse explosion in the city's southeast that injured four people.  Crews were called Thursday afternoon to the Mahogany neighbourhood and, while en route, they saw flames and a large plume of smoke from several blocks away. 

Explosion destroys Calgary townhouse, four people injured

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'
The Xatśull First Nation says it is "disappointed" that British Columbia's Mines Ministry has granted an operating permit for the Cariboo Gold Mine without meeting its leadership or obtaining the nation's consent. The mine is on the nation's territory in central B.C. and it issued a statement earlier this month calling for the project to be halted until the nation had given its consent.

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

New B.C. storm brings 100 km/h winds with some Vancouver Island homes still in dark

New B.C. storm brings 100 km/h winds with some Vancouver Island homes still in dark
BC Hydro is warning customers in remote areas of Vancouver Island that they may be without power until late Saturday, as winds from another powerful storm hit the coast. The latest in a series of fall storms has brought gusts up to 100 km/h but Environment Canada says it isn't as strong as the bomb cyclone that knocked out power to more than 300,000 properties this week.

New B.C. storm brings 100 km/h winds with some Vancouver Island homes still in dark

Jury deliberations begin in trial of human smuggling, frozen migrant family

Jury deliberations begin in trial of human smuggling, frozen migrant family
Jurors began deliberations Friday in the trial of two men accused of human smuggling across the Canada-U.S. border between Manitoba and Minnesota. They are tasked with deciding whether to convict or acquit Steve Shand and Harshkumar Patel on four charges.

Jury deliberations begin in trial of human smuggling, frozen migrant family

Canada Post losses top $300M as strike enters second week

Canada Post losses top $300M as strike enters second week
Canada Post saw hundreds of millions of dollars drain out of its coffers last quarter, due largely to its dwindling share of the parcels market — while an ongoing strike continues to batter its bottom line. The Crown corporation said Friday it lost $315 million before tax in the third quarter, larger than its $290 million loss a year earlier.

Canada Post losses top $300M as strike enters second week

3rd deer infected with chronic wasting disease

3rd deer infected with chronic wasting disease
A new case of chronic wasting disease, an incurable illness that has the potential to decimate deer populations, has been identified in British Columbia. The B.C. Ministry of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship said the discovery of the infection in a white-tailed deer hunted in the Kootenay region last month brought the total number of confirmed cases in the province to three, after two cases were confirmed in February. 

3rd deer infected with chronic wasting disease