Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada signs agreement with AZ on COVID treatment

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Feb, 2022 03:23 PM
  • Canada signs agreement with AZ on COVID treatment

OTTAWA - The Canadian government has signed an agreement with pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca to procure 100,000 doses of a COVID-19 antibody therapy that's still under review by Health Canada.

A release from Public Services and Procurement Canada says the antibody therapy, called Evusheld, is a pre-exposure preventative for COVID-19.

Evusheld is under review by Health Canada for use in specific high-risk patient populations, such as people who are immunocompromised.

The U.S.-based Food and Drug Administration issued an emergency use authorization for the product in December.

The FDA says the drug is only authorized for people who are not currently infected with COVID-19 and who are either moderately to severely immunocompromised or have a history of severe adverse reactions to a COVID-19 vaccine.

The FDA says one dose of Evusheld, given as two separate intramuscular injections, "may be effective for pre-exposure prevention for six months."

Health Canada started the authorization process for Evusheld in November after receiving data from AstraZeneca. The agency says it reviews submissions through an independent process and authorizes products based on "scientific rigour and medical evidence."

Public Services and Procurement Canada says initial deliveries of Evusheld would be expected within a month of authorization.

The Public Health Agency of Canada would then coordinate distribution and delivery with provinces and territories.

Filomena Tassi, Canada's Minister of Public Services and Procurement, said in a release Wednesday that vaccines continue to be "the most important tool we have against severe outcomes from COVID-19."

"However, while vaccines provide excellent protection, people who are immunocompromised may need additional protection against COVID-19," she said.

"That is why our government continues to grow its suite of treatments and preventative therapies to protect the health of everyone who lives in Canada."

 

MORE National ARTICLES

'Reconsider' travel to Canada, U.S. CDC warns

'Reconsider' travel to Canada, U.S. CDC warns
The new Level 3 travel advisory, issued today, marks a quick end to a three-week period when the warning to would-be travellers to Canada had been eased to "exercise increased caution."

'Reconsider' travel to Canada, U.S. CDC warns

1853 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1853 COVID19 cases over 3 days
84.2% (3,904,121) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 76.4% (3,541,731) received their second dose.

1853 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Cleaning, dietary workers coming back in-house at B.C. hospitals

Cleaning, dietary workers coming back in-house at B.C. hospitals
The province is working with the Hospital Employees' Union, health authorities and contractors on its plan, he said. The transition to government employment will end before most of the contracts expire by March, Dix said.

Cleaning, dietary workers coming back in-house at B.C. hospitals

Charges laid for fire that razed Coptic Orthodox Church, 35 year old woman arrested

Charges laid for fire that razed Coptic Orthodox Church, 35 year old woman arrested
The St. George church was the target of two incidents of arson, the first on July 14, the second on July 19, 2021, that destroyed the church.  Following an investigation by the Surrey RCMP Major Crime Section, a 35-year old woman was arrested on August 26, 2021.

Charges laid for fire that razed Coptic Orthodox Church, 35 year old woman arrested

Parties pounce on problematic candidates

Parties pounce on problematic candidates
The Conservatives started the day by questioning tax arrears that Liberal candidate Steven Guilbeault disclosed in a parliamentary ethics filing, which the heritage minister later explained to reporters travelling on the campaign stem from his separation and are being resolved.

Parties pounce on problematic candidates

B.C. evacuation orders, wildfires slowly tick down

B.C. evacuation orders, wildfires slowly tick down
Emergency Management BC says 28 orders were in place today, covering more than 3,900 properties, while residents of another 6,255 properties were told to be ready to leave on short notice.    

B.C. evacuation orders, wildfires slowly tick down