Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Cucumbers recalled due to salmonella

Cucumbers recalled due to salmonella
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is recalling field cucumbers – some of which were distributed in B-C – for possible salmonella contamination. The affected products from Mexico may have been labelled “SunFed” or sold loose without a brand name.

Cucumbers recalled due to salmonella

Erratic driver crashes into Nanaimo home

Erratic driver crashes into Nanaimo home
Police in Nanaimo say a driver doing donuts lost control of their vehicle and crashed into a home on Saturday. The R-C-M-P says it's fortunate no one in the home was injured when the vehicle drove over the lawn and was lodged into the foundation, destroyed some brick work and a basement window.

Erratic driver crashes into Nanaimo home

B.C. police discipline ruling voided because officer overseeing investigation retired

B.C. police discipline ruling voided because officer overseeing investigation retired
The disciplinary decision must now be reissued, dragging out the victim's pursuit of justice over how she was treated by colleagues in the wake of the 2019 attack. She called the situation a "screw-up" by the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner, which she said had failed its oversight mission.

B.C. police discipline ruling voided because officer overseeing investigation retired

Trudeau calls meeting with opposition leaders about Canada-U.S. border plan

Trudeau calls meeting with opposition leaders about Canada-U.S. border plan
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will meet with opposition leaders in his office on Parliament Hill on Tuesday morning to brief them on the government's plan for the Canada-U.S. border.  Trudeau's office said he initiated the meeting after U.S. president-elect Donald Trump threatened punitive tariffs if Canada doesn't do more to stem the passage of people and illegal drugs across the border.

Trudeau calls meeting with opposition leaders about Canada-U.S. border plan

Canada Post strike nears three-week mark amid pressure for government intervention

Canada Post strike nears three-week mark amid pressure for government intervention
The strike by more than 55,000 Canada Post workers entered its 19th day as the Black Friday and Cyber Monday shopping weekend came to a close. Canada Post said Monday it was waiting for the union to respond to a framework it presented over the weekend for reaching negotiated agreements.

Canada Post strike nears three-week mark amid pressure for government intervention

Joly touts 'private' diplomacy as Mexico criticizes Canada's culture, trade

Joly touts 'private' diplomacy as Mexico criticizes Canada's culture, trade
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly is not escalating a war of words with Mexico, after the Mexican president criticized Canada's culture and its framing of border issues. The rift between trading partners started with U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's declaration that he plans to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all goods from both countries unless they stop the flow of migrants and illegal drugs into the U.S.

Joly touts 'private' diplomacy as Mexico criticizes Canada's culture, trade