Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

One pedestrian dead, another hurt in separate crashes in Calgary

One pedestrian dead, another hurt in separate crashes in Calgary
A man is dead and a woman is in serious condition after two recent pedestrian collisions in Calgary. Police say a man in his 50s was riding a mobility scooter in a parking lot on Saturday when he was hit by an SUV.

One pedestrian dead, another hurt in separate crashes in Calgary

Drug seizure at a Langford home

Drug seizure at a Langford home
Police on Vancouver Island say a search of a home in Langford earlier this month netted a haul of drugs, cash and weapons including a pair of nunchucks.  West Shore R-C-M-P say officers from multiple units searched the home due to suspected drug trafficking activity on October 11th. 

Drug seizure at a Langford home

Bylaw patrols boosted for in Surrey

Bylaw patrols boosted for in Surrey
The City of Surrey says it's boosting bylaw patrols as Halloween and Diwali celebrations fall on the same day this year. The city says the patrols will focus on fireworks regulations. 

Bylaw patrols boosted for in Surrey

What is Diwali, the Festival of Lights? How is it celebrated in India and the diaspora?

What is Diwali, the Festival of Lights? How is it celebrated in India and the diaspora?
This year, the holiday is being celebrated on Oct. 31 and Nov. 1. In the U.S., Diwali falls on Halloween this year, which has triggered quite a few #Diwaloween memes on social media where some celebrants can be seen lighting diyas in their scary costumes or handing out laddoos to trick-or-treaters.

What is Diwali, the Festival of Lights? How is it celebrated in India and the diaspora?

Prime Minister Trudeau calls for return of Ukrainian children deported to Russia

Prime Minister Trudeau calls for return of Ukrainian children deported to Russia
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is calling on countries around the world to do everything possible to repatriate Ukrainian children taken by Russia. Trudeau addressed delegations from more than 70 countries at a conference in Montreal this morning, as they prepare a joint declaration for the return of Ukrainian children, civilians and prisoners of war. 

Prime Minister Trudeau calls for return of Ukrainian children deported to Russia

Dental-care program hits 1 million patients in first six months, coverage expands

Dental-care program hits 1 million patients in first six months, coverage expands
A million Canadians have received care under the federal dental-care plan six months after the program began, Health Minister Mark Holland said Thursday.  Starting on Friday, the program will also cover more complex procedures. 

Dental-care program hits 1 million patients in first six months, coverage expands