Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Mar, 2025 11:58 AM
  • Canada waiting to see if Trump starts North American trade war with steep tariffs

Canada is waiting to see whether U.S. President Donald Trump follows through on his threat to impose economy-wide tariffs as key members of his administration suggest a final decision still has not been made.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick told CNN on Monday that he would be discussing the tariffs with Trump throughout the day. The billionaire financier said Canada and Mexico had done a good job on enhancing border security but more needed to be done to stop the flow of deadly fentanyl.

"He's going to decide today," Lutnick said. "We are going to put it out tomorrow."

Lutnick told Fox News on Sunday that while tariffs would be levied against America's closest neighbours, the levels remained to be seen.

Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian products, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until Tuesday after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

On Sunday evening, the White House indicated the duties were likely to go ahead by issuing an amendment to the executive order which makes a "de minimis" exemption for low-value imports when tariffs come into force.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol data shows the number of people and drugs crossing illegally into the United States from Canada is minuscule compared to the volume coming across the southern border. It reports just 13.6 grams of fentanyl seized by northern Border Patrol staff in January.

Canadian officials and premiers made a month-long diplomatic push in Washington but it remains unclear what Canada could do to persuade Trump to drop the tariff threats for good.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said that if the levies go into force, Ottawa will revive its previously announced plan for retaliatory tariffs.

Those were to begin with an initial 25 per cent levy on $30 billion in U.S. products, with duties on another $125 billion in goods to follow three weeks later.

New York State Gov. Kathy Hochul said the small volume of drugs that may be coming across the northern border does not "justify the cataclysmic impact that tariffs will have." She said her state and Canada are willing to work with Washington on the issue.

"But this is such an extreme remedy that is going to have a ripple effect across our entire economy," Hochul said on CNN Monday.

Trump's team hit U.S. news networks over the weekend to argue that the tariffs would help Americans, despite many economists warning that they will increase household costs.

A report issued by the Peterson Institute for International Economics last month said Trump's tariffs on Canada, Mexico and China would cost the typical U.S. household more than US $1,200 a year.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called that report "alarmist." On CBS’ Face the Nation on Sunday, Bessent called Trump's plan "holistic" and said "there will be tariffs, there will be cuts in regulation, there will be cheaper energy."

He said that Mexico has proposed matching Washington’s tariffs on China and Canada should do the same, leaving room for areas of negotiation.

When asked whether that action would thwart the tariff threat, Bessent replied that "maybe the tariff wall goes up, and then we see what happens from there."

Many Canadian officials have said that Trump's ongoing tariff threats are tied to a mandatory review of the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement. The continental trade pact was negotiated under the first Trump administration to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Privacy commissioner investigates federal revenue agency data breaches

Privacy commissioner investigates federal revenue agency data breaches
The federal privacy watchdog has opened an investigation into cyberattacks on the Canada Revenue Agency that led to more than 30,000 privacy breaches dating back to 2020.  In a news release, the office of privacy commissioner Philippe Dufresne says the federal revenue agency reported the breaches in May of this year.

Privacy commissioner investigates federal revenue agency data breaches

Senior Modi cabinet minister linked to India-supported violence in Canada: officials

Senior Modi cabinet minister linked to India-supported violence in Canada: officials
The Washington Post first reported that Canadian officials alleged Indian Home Affairs Minister Amit Shah was behind a campaign of violence and intimidation targeting Sikh separatists in Canada. Morrison told MPs at the national security committee Tuesday that he was the one who confirmed Shah's name to that newspaper.

Senior Modi cabinet minister linked to India-supported violence in Canada: officials

Prime Minister Trudeau congratulates Saskatchewan Premier Moe on election win

Prime Minister Trudeau congratulates Saskatchewan Premier Moe on election win
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has congratulated Premier Scott Moe after the Saskatchewan Party won a fifth-straight majority in the provincial election. Trudeau says he wants to work with Moe to provide results for Saskatchewan residents, including creating jobs, expanding child care and improving health care. 

Prime Minister Trudeau congratulates Saskatchewan Premier Moe on election win

Police seize cannabis-infused candy mimicking popular name-brand snacks in B.C.

Police seize cannabis-infused candy mimicking popular name-brand snacks in B.C.
As Halloween approaches, police on Vancouver Island are urging the public to use caution after officers seized more than 120,000 cannabis-laced edibles, including chocolate and candies with packaging that mimics recognizable treats.

Police seize cannabis-infused candy mimicking popular name-brand snacks in B.C.

Pickpocketing taking place in New Westminster

Pickpocketing taking place in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster are asking residents to watch out for thieves targeting coat racks near the entrances of local businesses as winter approaches. Police say suspects typically take items such as wallets and cell phones from coats left on racks.

Pickpocketing taking place in New Westminster

Fatal residential fire in North Cowichan

Fatal residential fire in North Cowichan
Mounties in North Cowichan are investigating after a residential fire resulted in a death. R-C-M-P says officers were called to the scene at around 9:30 a.m. on October 28th, which prompted responses from North Cowichan, Maple Bay, Crofton and Chemainus.

Fatal residential fire in North Cowichan