Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada wants 'robust' COVID-19 probe: Hajdu

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jun, 2021 02:51 PM
  • Canada wants 'robust' COVID-19 probe: Hajdu

The federal government wants a "robust" and ongoing investigation into the origins of the novel coronavirus, Health Minister Patty Hajdu said in the House of Commons Monday ahead of an expected grilling by MPs examining Canada's relationship with China.

“Like many countries around the world, we have always been clear that we need to understand the origins of COVID-19 and we will work with our international partners to ensure there is a robust and continued investigation into the origins of this virus," Hajdu said in response to a question from Conservative MP Michael Chong.

"It is important not just for Canadians but indeed for the entire world so that we can prevent another epidemic of this kind.”

The communique that emerged from the G7 summit in Cornwall, U.K., this weekend called for another investigation by the World Health Organization into how the pandemic began.

Once dismissed by most public health experts and government officials, the notion that COVID-19 leaked accidentally from a Chinese lab is now under a new U.S. investigation ordered by President Joe Biden, which is also exploring whether the virus jumped from animals to humans.

The Conservatives have been pushing the Liberal government to hand over documents they argue could shed light on that investigation, involving two scientists escorted out of the high-security National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg in 2019.

Xiangguo Qiu and her biologist husband, Kending Cheng, were officially fired in January.

Qiu had earlier been responsible for a shipment of Ebola and Henipah viruses to China's Wuhan Institute of Virology, but the Public Health Agency of Canada has said those events are unrelated.

In May, Iain Stewart, the president of the agency, told a parliamentary committee that the Winnipeg facility routinely shares samples with other labs and adheres to strict protocols.

Hajdu is set to appear at the special committee on Canada-China relations Monday night alongside Stewart and Dr. Guillaume Poliquin, acting vice-president at the Winnipeg facility, where they will face questions about the issue.

Two weeks ago, a majority of MPs passed a motion in the House of Commons demanding the Trudeau government release unredacted documents related to what happened at the National Microbiology Laboratory to the special committee.

The Liberal government instead handed over the documents to the National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians.

"The director of the lab has been very clear that there is no connection with their departure and COVID-19," Hajdu told the House of Commons earlier this month, adding it was "irresponsible" for the Conservatives "to try and draw that link."

MORE National ARTICLES

Business leaders in U.S., Canada join Line 5 fight

Business leaders in U.S., Canada join Line 5 fight
The Canadian and U.S. chambers of commerce joined forces with their counterparts in Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin by filing a joint brief in court to argue against Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's bid to shut down the cross-border pipeline.

Business leaders in U.S., Canada join Line 5 fight

Canada-U.S. spat over right whale prompts proposal

Canada-U.S. spat over right whale prompts proposal
A Canada-U.S. spat over who is responsible for the recent death of a critically endangered right whale has prompted a senior Canadian official to suggest there's got to be a better way of settling such disputes.

Canada-U.S. spat over right whale prompts proposal

Questions remain about AstraZeneca shot's future

Questions remain about AstraZeneca shot's future
Questions remained Wednesday about the future of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in Canada as the federal government prepared to receive hundreds of thousands of doses while provinces limited use of the shot.

Questions remain about AstraZeneca shot's future

600 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

600 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
British Columbia is now pausing the first dose AstraZeneca program. “Given the limited availability of the AstraZeneca vaccine supply, we are holding all remaining AstraZeneca vaccine for dose-two booster immunizations. Existing pharmacy bookings will proceed."

600 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

B.C. expecting more AstraZeneca vaccine: minister

B.C. expecting more AstraZeneca vaccine: minister
Dix says a "significant amount" of the COVID-19 vaccine was also made available in the last week in the Island and Interior health regions.

B.C. expecting more AstraZeneca vaccine: minister

No time for drug decriminalization redo: mayor

No time for drug decriminalization redo: mayor
Kennedy Stewart says a federal election could see the small window of opportunity close on the city's bid for an exemption from criminal provisions on simple possession of small amounts of drugs.

No time for drug decriminalization redo: mayor