Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada Will Extend Indian Ocean Commitment To 2021, Harjit Sajjan Says

The Canadian Press, 29 May, 2017 11:41 AM
    OTTAWA — Canada will extend its commitment to maritime security in the Red Sea, the Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean with ships and personnel for another four years, says Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan.
     
    He says Operation Artemis, the latest incarnation of Canada's contribution to a multinational security force in the area, will be extended until the end of April 2021.
     
    The international task force deploys ships and surveillance systems to intercept shipments of weapons and narcotics in the region.
     
    Sajjan said the extension authorizes the Canadian Armed Forces to commit up to 375 personnel to the operation, send in a frigate once every two years and contribute an Aurora patrol plane once a year.
     
    Canada will earmark up to $131.4 million to support the extension.
     
    He says Canada has supported security in the area since 2001 under a number of operations and Canada just completed its third rotation in command of the maritime security task force.
     
    In the last year, this task force seized and destroyed nearly 2,700 kilograms of narcotics and more than 3,000 weapons.
     
    "The government of Canada's renewed commitment to counter-terrorism efforts is vital to building a safer and more prosperous world," Sajjan said in a statement.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Trudeau Abandons Promise To Change Voting System In Time For 2019 Election

    Trudeau Abandons Promise To Change Voting System In Time For 2019 Election
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is abandoning his long-held promise to change the way Canadians vote in federal elections.

    Trudeau Abandons Promise To Change Voting System In Time For 2019 Election

    Acquittal In 'Knees Together' Retrial Will Harm Sex Assault Victims: Experts

    Acquittal In 'Knees Together' Retrial Will Harm Sex Assault Victims: Experts
    Alexander Wagar was found not guilty a second time on Tuesday in a trial ordered as a result of controversial comments by the original judge in 2014.

    Acquittal In 'Knees Together' Retrial Will Harm Sex Assault Victims: Experts

    Premier In Conflict Of Interest Over Trans Mountain Pipeline Approval: Petition

    The petition is the latest in a string of legal challenges aimed at blocking construction of the pipeline between the Edmonton area and Burnaby, B.C. The expansion would nearly triple the line's capacity and increase tanker traffic sevenfold along B.C.'s southern coast.

    Premier In Conflict Of Interest Over Trans Mountain Pipeline Approval: Petition

    Convicted Murderer Thomas Taylor, 72, Dies In Abbotsford Prison

    Convicted Murderer Thomas Taylor, 72, Dies In Abbotsford Prison
    Correctional Service Canada says 72-year-old Thomas Taylor died on Jan. 27 at the prison in Abbotsford, B.C.

    Convicted Murderer Thomas Taylor, 72, Dies In Abbotsford Prison

    Nova Scotia Man Found Not Responsible In Murders Of Mother, Grandparents

    Nova Scotia Man Found Not Responsible In Murders Of Mother, Grandparents
    A mentally ill man who killed his mother and two grandparents was found not criminally responsible for the murders by a Nova Scotia Supreme Court judge.

    Nova Scotia Man Found Not Responsible In Murders Of Mother, Grandparents

    Operator Of Okanagan Lake Boat Is Dead After Sinking On Monday

    KELOWNA, B.C. — A tug boat operator is dead after the commercial vessel sank in Okanagan Lake near Kelowna, B.C.

    Operator Of Okanagan Lake Boat Is Dead After Sinking On Monday