Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada won't 'leverage' energy, critical minerals in trade talks: PM

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 May, 2026 02:13 PM
  • Canada won't 'leverage' energy, critical minerals in trade talks: PM

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Canada will not use energy or critical minerals as “leverage” in upcoming trade talks with U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration.

But Carney suggested further integration with the United States in those sectors — highly coveted by the Trump administration — remains in question.

“I reject that characterization of it’s leverage. It's looking at, is it in our mutual interest to trade more. Where is it? And if it's not there, we have other options,” Carney said Friday in his first interview with The Canadian Press since entering federal politics.

"Should we be further integrating our energy markets with the United States at a time they view that as, quote, 'leverage'?"

Carney's comments come as his government grapples with damaging U.S. tariffs that remain locked in place as a scheduled review of the continental free trade pact approaches.

Carney pointed to the plight of Canada’s “incredibly” integrated automobile market, which he said is at risk of being “pulled apart” by U.S. tariffs.

On Wednesday, United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told a group of visiting Canadian politicians, trade envoys and businesspeople in Washington that Canada should not attempt to use its energy and natural resources as leverage in negotiations on the continental free-trade pact.

Greer said the administration is looking to work with Canada on energy and critical minerals development in ways that would benefit both countries.

Carney spoke with The Canadian Press in his office on Parliament Hill, now decorated with sports paraphernalia — an Edmonton CFL helmet and football, various items of Oilers swag. The office has changed noticeably since the departure of his predecessor Justin Trudeau, who was less of a sports fanatic and more of a sci-fi buff — though did have a Habs jersey on display.

Carney granted a rare series of interviews to journalists this week, including CBC News and the French-language newspaper La Presse, to mark the one-year anniversary of his electoral victory last year and highlight some of his accomplishments.

He talked up a marked improvement in federal-provincial relations over the past year and the creation of new federal offices to speed up industrial project approvals and major government purchases for the military.

Carney also defended Trudeau’s record on trade and his handling of Trump. He credited Trudeau with successfully negotiating the CUSMA agreement during Trump’s first term in the White House.

The Canadian Press asked Carney if he understands Trump and his notions about the “art of the deal” better than Trudeau did, given the stark change in the tone of the relationship with the U.S. president that happened when Carney succeeded Trudeau.

Carney said he’s learned over the past year that Trump prefers being spoken to directly but respectfully, and abhors statements cloaked in “flattering language.”

Carney said that CUSMA “stands the test of time” and added he believes most of the trade pact will survive its upcoming renewal.

“Much of it will be retained. Some things are going to have to change, but we're looking to make sure they change in a way that's in Canada's interest,” he said.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Spencer Colby

MORE National ARTICLES

Bank of Canada signals shift in how it sets rates amid tariff uncertainty

Bank of Canada signals shift in how it sets rates amid tariff uncertainty
Tiff Macklem says that means monetary policymakers may be “acting quickly” when it comes to setting interest rates, rather than looking far into the horizon to stay “flexible and adaptable.”

Bank of Canada signals shift in how it sets rates amid tariff uncertainty

Descent warning triggered on Delta plane seconds before it crashed at Pearson: report

Descent warning triggered on Delta plane seconds before it crashed at Pearson: report
A preliminary report into a plane crash at Toronto's Pearson airport last month says the aircraft's alert system issued a warning about the descent rate less than three seconds before touchdown. The Transportation Safety Board of Canada released its report Thursday morning as it continues to investigate the Feb. 17 crash landing that sent 21 people to hospital, noting that it's too early to draw any conclusions.

Descent warning triggered on Delta plane seconds before it crashed at Pearson: report

RCMP in Northwest Territories charge B.C. man in fatal shooting

RCMP in Northwest Territories charge B.C. man in fatal shooting
RCMP say charges have been laid in a shooting that killed one person and injured two others in the Northwest Territories. Officers responded to a home early Saturday morning in the hamlet of Fort Providence, where a 31-year-old man was found dead.

RCMP in Northwest Territories charge B.C. man in fatal shooting

Body of missing Langley senior found months after she went missing: RCMP

Body of missing Langley senior found months after she went missing: RCMP
Mounties in Langley say the body of an 82-year-old woman has been found several months after she went missing. Jane Whitehouse was reported missing on Oct. 25 last year. 

Body of missing Langley senior found months after she went missing: RCMP

Poilievre says he wants to greenlight Ring of Fire mining permits within six months

Poilievre says he wants to greenlight Ring of Fire mining permits within six months
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said Wednesday he'll "set a deadline" to approve all federal permits for mining in northwestern Ontario's Ring of Fire region within six months. Poilievre said that a Conservative government would also commit $1 billion over three years to build a road network to link the mining sites to Ontario's highway network and First Nations communities in the area.

Poilievre says he wants to greenlight Ring of Fire mining permits within six months

Gang police allege Vancouver man ran 'sophisticated' gun importation scheme

Gang police allege Vancouver man ran 'sophisticated' gun importation scheme
A 24-year-old Vancouver man faces several charges after investigators dismantled what they say was a "sophisticated" gun importation operation. The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit says the charges come after an investigation that began in June 2023 when packages with gun parts were "intercepted at the border." 

Gang police allege Vancouver man ran 'sophisticated' gun importation scheme