Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada won't 'leverage' energy, critical minerals in trade talks: PM

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 May, 2026 02:13 PM
  • Canada won't 'leverage' energy, critical minerals in trade talks: PM

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Canada will not use energy or critical minerals as “leverage” in upcoming trade talks with U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration.

But Carney suggested further integration with the United States in those sectors — highly coveted by the Trump administration — remains in question.

“I reject that characterization of it’s leverage. It's looking at, is it in our mutual interest to trade more. Where is it? And if it's not there, we have other options,” Carney said Friday in his first interview with The Canadian Press since entering federal politics.

"Should we be further integrating our energy markets with the United States at a time they view that as, quote, 'leverage'?"

Carney's comments come as his government grapples with damaging U.S. tariffs that remain locked in place as a scheduled review of the continental free trade pact approaches.

Carney pointed to the plight of Canada’s “incredibly” integrated automobile market, which he said is at risk of being “pulled apart” by U.S. tariffs.

On Wednesday, United States Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told a group of visiting Canadian politicians, trade envoys and businesspeople in Washington that Canada should not attempt to use its energy and natural resources as leverage in negotiations on the continental free-trade pact.

Greer said the administration is looking to work with Canada on energy and critical minerals development in ways that would benefit both countries.

Carney spoke with The Canadian Press in his office on Parliament Hill, now decorated with sports paraphernalia — an Edmonton CFL helmet and football, various items of Oilers swag. The office has changed noticeably since the departure of his predecessor Justin Trudeau, who was less of a sports fanatic and more of a sci-fi buff — though did have a Habs jersey on display.

Carney granted a rare series of interviews to journalists this week, including CBC News and the French-language newspaper La Presse, to mark the one-year anniversary of his electoral victory last year and highlight some of his accomplishments.

He talked up a marked improvement in federal-provincial relations over the past year and the creation of new federal offices to speed up industrial project approvals and major government purchases for the military.

Carney also defended Trudeau’s record on trade and his handling of Trump. He credited Trudeau with successfully negotiating the CUSMA agreement during Trump’s first term in the White House.

The Canadian Press asked Carney if he understands Trump and his notions about the “art of the deal” better than Trudeau did, given the stark change in the tone of the relationship with the U.S. president that happened when Carney succeeded Trudeau.

Carney said he’s learned over the past year that Trump prefers being spoken to directly but respectfully, and abhors statements cloaked in “flattering language.”

Carney said that CUSMA “stands the test of time” and added he believes most of the trade pact will survive its upcoming renewal.

“Much of it will be retained. Some things are going to have to change, but we're looking to make sure they change in a way that's in Canada's interest,” he said.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Spencer Colby

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau calls idea of banning Trump from Canada 'irresponsible'

Trudeau calls idea of banning Trump from Canada 'irresponsible'
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is rejecting NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh's call for the federal government to bar U.S. President Donald Trump from coming to Canada for the G7 summit this June. At an event in Montreal today, Trudeau said he sees the idea of banning Trump as an "irresponsible" approach to governance and dialogue with other nations.

Trudeau calls idea of banning Trump from Canada 'irresponsible'

Federal government moves closer to taking over Russian cargo plane for Ukraine

Federal government moves closer to taking over Russian cargo plane for Ukraine
The federal government is moving closer to gaining full control over a massive Russian cargo plane parked in Toronto and hopes to use the proceeds to support Ukraine. In June 2023, the federal government officially seized an aircraft that had been sitting on the tarmac at Toronto's Pearson International Airport since February 2022.

Federal government moves closer to taking over Russian cargo plane for Ukraine

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader
A spokeswoman for the BC Prosecution Service says charges have been stayed against two men in connection with a shooting last month in Fort Nelson, including one identified by police and in the courts as a gang leader. Court records show Bacon and Chasse, both 41 years old, have criminal histories dating back decades in B.C.

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program
The Canadian Dental Hygienists Association says its members are urging all federal parties to keep funding the national dental care program, arguing it's good for the economy. The association says access to oral health care and preventive care increases worker productivity and keeps people from taking sick days. 

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program

When are tariffs expected, and on what? Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute

When are tariffs expected, and on what? Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute
U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday said he still intends to slap Canada with tariffs next week after a monthlong reprieve. But Canadians confused about Trump's plans aren't alone, with the U.S. president at times contradicting himself about his own tariff plans.

When are tariffs expected, and on what? Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute

Public safety minister says Canada has answered U.S. demands on border security

Public safety minister says Canada has answered U.S. demands on border security
Canadian law enforcement and border officials joined McGuinty and Canada's newly appointed "fentanyl czar" Kevin Brosseau in the U.S. capital this week to make a final diplomatic push against the tariffs. Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian imports, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until March 4 after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

Public safety minister says Canada has answered U.S. demands on border security