Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:50 PM
  • Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says

A prominent Republican senator says Canada’s recent investment in border security — announced in response to U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threat — is tardy but welcome.

James Risch, chair of the U.S. Senate foreign relations committee, says border security should be a Canadian policy priority and he wants to see Ottawa make sustained investments.

Ottawa promised a $1.3 billion border security plan in December after Trump said he would hit Canada and Mexico with 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs in response to what he called both countries's failure to curb people and drugs crossing the border illegally.

Trump didn’t implement the duties on his first day back in office as he'd vowed to do, but he has suggested the tariffs could come on Feb. 1 and a report on U.S. trade with Canada ordered by the president is due in April.

Canadian cabinet ministers have been cycling through Washington in recent weeks for meetings with Republican lawmakers to make the case that tariffs would harm both the Canadian and American economies.

But Risch, a senator for Idaho, says Canada is falling behind on economic and defence matters and Trump will want to see that change.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations
Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke has directed staff to conduct a review of financial penalties for violating fire bans in an effort to potentially increase the fines. It comes after the city says its fire department has responded to more than 400 brush and grass fires since May 1st, most of which were caused by human activity.

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

19 year old charged in extortion crimes

19 year old charged in extortion crimes
Police in Metro Vancouver say a 19-year-old man has been charged with almost two dozen offences related to the alleged online sexual extortion of teenagers. Burnaby R-C-M-P say the investigation began after victims in Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario reported to local police that they were being extorted for money after sharing explicit images with someone they met on social media platforms.

19 year old charged in extortion crimes

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada
Human-caused climate change is making heat waves much more likely, the federal government says, bringing extreme weather from fires to storms. That's according to Environment and Climate Change Canada's rapid extreme weather event attribution system, which compares today's climate to a pre-industrial one.

Canadians should be prepared for more wildfires and hurricanes: Environment Canada

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'
A statement from the BC Tree Fruits Cooperative issued Monday says the decision to file for creditor protection stems from the group's "liquidity crisis," with stone fruit crops damaged by weather identified as "the final tipping point" in a series of factors.

B.C. fruit group files for creditor protection after crop losses, 'liquidity crisis'

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary
RCMP in Alberta say one of two suspects wanted in a deadly shooting east of Calgary last week has been arrested, but the search continues for the other. With assistance from the Edmonton Police Service, Mounties announced Monday night they arrested a 35-year-old suspect in the Alberta capital on August 8.

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary

Debit card theft in New Westminster

Debit card theft in New Westminster
The New Westminster Police Department has issued a pickpocketing warning after a woman had her debit card stolen and lost over two-thousand dollars. Police say the victim’s card was stolen and then the card was used for 25 hundred dollars in purchases and withdrawals. 

Debit card theft in New Westminster