Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:50 PM
  • Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says

A prominent Republican senator says Canada’s recent investment in border security — announced in response to U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threat — is tardy but welcome.

James Risch, chair of the U.S. Senate foreign relations committee, says border security should be a Canadian policy priority and he wants to see Ottawa make sustained investments.

Ottawa promised a $1.3 billion border security plan in December after Trump said he would hit Canada and Mexico with 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs in response to what he called both countries's failure to curb people and drugs crossing the border illegally.

Trump didn’t implement the duties on his first day back in office as he'd vowed to do, but he has suggested the tariffs could come on Feb. 1 and a report on U.S. trade with Canada ordered by the president is due in April.

Canadian cabinet ministers have been cycling through Washington in recent weeks for meetings with Republican lawmakers to make the case that tariffs would harm both the Canadian and American economies.

But Risch, a senator for Idaho, says Canada is falling behind on economic and defence matters and Trump will want to see that change.

MORE National ARTICLES

Fight brewing at CRTC over first Online News Act payment by Google

Fight brewing at CRTC over first Online News Act payment by Google
A new fight is playing out at the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission over the first $100-million annual payment Google agreed to pay Canadian news outlets.  The Canadian Journalism Collective, the group tasked by Google to distribute the money to news outlets, has submitted plans for its governance structure to the CRTC. 

Fight brewing at CRTC over first Online News Act payment by Google

B.C. judge refuses cash award to claimant who takes part in 'underground economy'

B.C. judge refuses cash award to claimant who takes part in 'underground economy'
A provincial court judge in Surrey has thrown out a small claims case between a lumber company and a fence building firm over an "unlawful scheme" between the two to avoid paying GST and PST.  The principal of Top Quality Lumber Ltd., Amarjit Dhaliwal, told the court in June that H & R Fencing owed his company almost $21,000, but H & R's owner said it was closer to $4,000 in unpaid bills. 

B.C. judge refuses cash award to claimant who takes part in 'underground economy'

B.C. wildfires holding steady at about 350 with lightning in the forecast

B.C. wildfires holding steady at about 350 with lightning in the forecast
A statement from the First Nation outside Vernon on Thursday says BC Wildfire Service personnel were working to maintain guards around the seven-square-kilometre Hullcar Mountain blaze while helicopters douse it with water. The blaze is one of nine wildfires of note in the province, meaning the fires are either highly visible or pose a threat to public safety and infrastructure.

B.C. wildfires holding steady at about 350 with lightning in the forecast

B.C. appoints new chief coroner, while overdose health emergency lingers

B.C. appoints new chief coroner, while overdose health emergency lingers
The British Columbia government has appointed Dr. Jatinder Baidwan as the province's new chief coroner following the retirement of Lisa Lapointe earlier this year. The Ministry of Public Safety says in a statement that Baidwan takes on the role after serving as the chief medical officer for the BC Coroners Service since 2017.

B.C. appoints new chief coroner, while overdose health emergency lingers

Assault on hijab wearing woman

Assault on hijab wearing woman
Police in Metro Vancouver say they're investigating an assault on a woman wearing a hijab as a possible hate crime. New Westminster Police say they received a report of an assault inside a fast-food restaurant at about 10 o'clock Sunday night.

Assault on hijab wearing woman

Canada pulls diplomats' kids out of Israel as fear of broader war builds

Canada pulls diplomats' kids out of Israel as fear of broader war builds
The Canadian government says it decided to pull its diplomats' children and their guardians out of Israel, amid fears over an expanded Mideast war. Global Affairs Canada says it has approved the temporary relocation of the children and their guardians to a safe third country.

Canada pulls diplomats' kids out of Israel as fear of broader war builds