Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada's two major railways resume service as railroaders return to work

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Aug, 2024 11:07 AM
  • Canada's two major railways resume service as railroaders return to work

Trains began to trundle along the tracks of Canada's two major railways on Monday after the federal labour board ended a four-day work stoppage that snarled supply chains and upended commutes.

Amid a bitter labour dispute, the Canada Industrial Relations Board on Saturday ordered Canadian National Railway Co. and Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. to resume operations and 9,300 workers to return to their posts at 12:01 a.m. ahead of binding arbitration set to begin this week.

While commuters on CPKC-owned lines in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver enjoyed a smooth ride to work on Monday, both railways have said a full recovery for freight traffic will take weeks.

"This is a process that will take several weeks to get us back to normal and to catch up the backlog that was accumulated during the shutdown period," CN spokesman Jonathan Abecassis said in a phone interview.

The labour board's decision dropped two days after Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon directed the arm's-length tribunal to begin the arbitration process, saying the parties were at an impasse in contract talks and Canadian businesses and trade relationships were at stake.

The union has vowed to fight the labour board's decision in court, framing the outcome as a win for big business.

Teamsters Canada Rail Conference president Paul Boucher travelled to Halifax for the Liberal cabinet retreat this week, with a demonstration planned for Tuesday.

"What they have done to the railworkers … to stop the work stoppages fundamentally takes rights away from the rights to free collective bargaining, and we're protesting against that," Boucher said in an interview. 

MacKinnon defended the order for binding arbitration shortly before the cabinet meetings got underway on Sunday.

"It's hard to remember a decision that was more in the interest of Canadian workers," the minister said.

"When you think of shutdowns in potash mines, when you think of car plants running out of inventory, when you think of forestry and aluminum operations ... those are major economic consequences, and there are also major consequences in terms of salaries for unionized workers across the country."

CPKC lifted its lockout after the labour board's decision Saturday evening, but striking employees declined CPKC's request to return to work for Sunday, opting to go back on the job on Monday morning in line with the tribunal's ruling.

CN, which lifted its own lockout late last week, ramped up operations Monday. It first began the process of resuming shipments across 32,000 kilometres of track on Friday, with its employees never going on strike despite a 72-hour strike notice issued by the union that day.

While the financial impact of the stoppage remains unclear, Moody's warned it could cost the Canadian economy $341 million per day. Agriculture, forestry and manufacturing were among the hardest-hit sectors, the credit rating agency said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Double shooting in East Vancouver

Double shooting in East Vancouver
Police say they're investigating a double shooting that occurred in East Vancouver over the weekend. Investigators were called after midnight on Sunday about a shooting near Victoria Drive and East 28th Avenue. 

Double shooting in East Vancouver

Residents of West Kelowna fire zone get brief home access but restrictions extended

Residents of West Kelowna fire zone get brief home access but restrictions extended
Residents of wildfire-ravaged Wilson's Landing in West Kelowna, B.C., were granted a four-hour window Friday to access their homes to retrieve important items as an area-wide restriction order was extended to Sept. 15. The Central Okanagan Regional District says in a statement residents were temporarily permitted entry to the evacuation zone, but no further access is expected this weekend.

Residents of West Kelowna fire zone get brief home access but restrictions extended

Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year

Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year
Prosecutors in British Columbia have approved multiple charges against a Vancouver police officer a year after a pedestrian was hit by a police car in the city's Downtown Eastside. Const. Jack Zhao has been charged with driving without due care and attention, failing to exercise due care to avoid colliding with a pedestrian, and speeding.  

Vancouver cop charged after pedestrian struck in city's Downtown Eastside last year

Spike in COVID19 cases in BC

Spike in COVID19 cases in BC
B-C is experiencing a spike in COVID-19 numbers, with cases, hospitalizations and deaths all up in recent weeks. The monthly report from the B-C Centre for Disease Control shows that 447 people tested positive for the virus between August 27th and September 2nd -- more than triple the 133 cases recorded in the first full week of last month.

Spike in COVID19 cases in BC

B.C.'s health minister warns high emergency medical care demand may be 'new normal'

B.C.'s health minister warns high emergency medical care demand may be 'new normal'
Dix was meeting doctors and officials at Surrey Memorial Hospital this morning to update them on expanding the facility's emergency capacity, after complaints this year from workers that they lack resources to cope with the large number of incoming patients.

B.C.'s health minister warns high emergency medical care demand may be 'new normal'

7500 dollar Rolex stolen

7500 dollar Rolex stolen
Burnaby R-C-M-P are asking for the public’s help to identify a suspect who allegedly stole a 75-hundred dollar Rolex watch after setting up meetings on Facebook Marketplace. Police says the victim met the suspect in a Burnaby mall on September 1st to sell a Rolex but the purchase wasn’t completed on that day.

7500 dollar Rolex stolen