Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada's two major railways resume service as railroaders return to work

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Aug, 2024 11:07 AM
  • Canada's two major railways resume service as railroaders return to work

Trains began to trundle along the tracks of Canada's two major railways on Monday after the federal labour board ended a four-day work stoppage that snarled supply chains and upended commutes.

Amid a bitter labour dispute, the Canada Industrial Relations Board on Saturday ordered Canadian National Railway Co. and Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. to resume operations and 9,300 workers to return to their posts at 12:01 a.m. ahead of binding arbitration set to begin this week.

While commuters on CPKC-owned lines in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver enjoyed a smooth ride to work on Monday, both railways have said a full recovery for freight traffic will take weeks.

"This is a process that will take several weeks to get us back to normal and to catch up the backlog that was accumulated during the shutdown period," CN spokesman Jonathan Abecassis said in a phone interview.

The labour board's decision dropped two days after Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon directed the arm's-length tribunal to begin the arbitration process, saying the parties were at an impasse in contract talks and Canadian businesses and trade relationships were at stake.

The union has vowed to fight the labour board's decision in court, framing the outcome as a win for big business.

Teamsters Canada Rail Conference president Paul Boucher travelled to Halifax for the Liberal cabinet retreat this week, with a demonstration planned for Tuesday.

"What they have done to the railworkers … to stop the work stoppages fundamentally takes rights away from the rights to free collective bargaining, and we're protesting against that," Boucher said in an interview. 

MacKinnon defended the order for binding arbitration shortly before the cabinet meetings got underway on Sunday.

"It's hard to remember a decision that was more in the interest of Canadian workers," the minister said.

"When you think of shutdowns in potash mines, when you think of car plants running out of inventory, when you think of forestry and aluminum operations ... those are major economic consequences, and there are also major consequences in terms of salaries for unionized workers across the country."

CPKC lifted its lockout after the labour board's decision Saturday evening, but striking employees declined CPKC's request to return to work for Sunday, opting to go back on the job on Monday morning in line with the tribunal's ruling.

CN, which lifted its own lockout late last week, ramped up operations Monday. It first began the process of resuming shipments across 32,000 kilometres of track on Friday, with its employees never going on strike despite a 72-hour strike notice issued by the union that day.

While the financial impact of the stoppage remains unclear, Moody's warned it could cost the Canadian economy $341 million per day. Agriculture, forestry and manufacturing were among the hardest-hit sectors, the credit rating agency said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Heatwave breaks records in BC

Heatwave breaks records in BC
The Fraser Canyon communities of Lytton and Lillooet both broke the 40 C mark on Monday, with Lytton reaching 41.4 C and Lillooet slightly behind, while the southern Okanagan community of Osoyoos was expected to join the 40-plus club by the end of the day.

Heatwave breaks records in BC

Feds to speed up housing construction

Feds to speed up housing construction
Sean Fraser says the federal government is looking at a number of ways to work with provinces and municipalities to speed up the construction of housing through subsidies and other incentives and drive prices down.   

Feds to speed up housing construction

Charges in alleged teenage chase: VPD

Charges in alleged teenage chase: VPD
Police in Vancouver say a 54-year-old man is facing multiple charges after he allegedly chased a group of teenagers with a knife. They say a 16-year-old boy called 9-1-1 to report he and his friends were being threatened by an armed stranger.

Charges in alleged teenage chase: VPD

BC traffic stop leads to seizure of firearms and drugs

BC traffic stop leads to seizure of firearms and drugs
A B-C woman in her 30s faces numerous charges after a traffic stop outside of Williams Lake lead to the seizure of a loaded firearm and methamphetamines. R-C-M-P say it happened on August 3rd when officers saw a vehicle speeding along Highway 97. 

BC traffic stop leads to seizure of firearms and drugs

Vernon man charged in crash

Vernon man charged in crash
A 36-year-old Vernon man has been charged after a head-on collision on Highway 97 left two people dead. It happened in the early hours of August 5th near the Vernon Military Camp.  

Vernon man charged in crash

Homicide in New Westminster

Homicide in New Westminster
Homicide detectives have been called in to investigate after a man's body was found inside a home in New Westminster. Police say officers were sent to the home last night to carry out a well-being check.

Homicide in New Westminster