Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada's two major railways resume service as railroaders return to work

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Aug, 2024 11:07 AM
  • Canada's two major railways resume service as railroaders return to work

Trains began to trundle along the tracks of Canada's two major railways on Monday after the federal labour board ended a four-day work stoppage that snarled supply chains and upended commutes.

Amid a bitter labour dispute, the Canada Industrial Relations Board on Saturday ordered Canadian National Railway Co. and Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. to resume operations and 9,300 workers to return to their posts at 12:01 a.m. ahead of binding arbitration set to begin this week.

While commuters on CPKC-owned lines in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver enjoyed a smooth ride to work on Monday, both railways have said a full recovery for freight traffic will take weeks.

"This is a process that will take several weeks to get us back to normal and to catch up the backlog that was accumulated during the shutdown period," CN spokesman Jonathan Abecassis said in a phone interview.

The labour board's decision dropped two days after Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon directed the arm's-length tribunal to begin the arbitration process, saying the parties were at an impasse in contract talks and Canadian businesses and trade relationships were at stake.

The union has vowed to fight the labour board's decision in court, framing the outcome as a win for big business.

Teamsters Canada Rail Conference president Paul Boucher travelled to Halifax for the Liberal cabinet retreat this week, with a demonstration planned for Tuesday.

"What they have done to the railworkers … to stop the work stoppages fundamentally takes rights away from the rights to free collective bargaining, and we're protesting against that," Boucher said in an interview. 

MacKinnon defended the order for binding arbitration shortly before the cabinet meetings got underway on Sunday.

"It's hard to remember a decision that was more in the interest of Canadian workers," the minister said.

"When you think of shutdowns in potash mines, when you think of car plants running out of inventory, when you think of forestry and aluminum operations ... those are major economic consequences, and there are also major consequences in terms of salaries for unionized workers across the country."

CPKC lifted its lockout after the labour board's decision Saturday evening, but striking employees declined CPKC's request to return to work for Sunday, opting to go back on the job on Monday morning in line with the tribunal's ruling.

CN, which lifted its own lockout late last week, ramped up operations Monday. It first began the process of resuming shipments across 32,000 kilometres of track on Friday, with its employees never going on strike despite a 72-hour strike notice issued by the union that day.

While the financial impact of the stoppage remains unclear, Moody's warned it could cost the Canadian economy $341 million per day. Agriculture, forestry and manufacturing were among the hardest-hit sectors, the credit rating agency said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Poilievre says Canada's immigration system is broken, sidesteps target cut questions

Poilievre says Canada's immigration system is broken, sidesteps target cut questions
Pierre Poilievre says Canada's immigration system is broken, but the Conservative leader is sidestepping questions about whether he would change current targets. Appearing before reporters on Parliament Hill, Poilievre criticized Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's recent comments on housing and pledged to speed up entry for immigrants skilled in the building trades. 

Poilievre says Canada's immigration system is broken, sidesteps target cut questions

All news in Canada will be removed from Facebook, Instagram within weeks: Meta

All news in Canada will be removed from Facebook, Instagram within weeks: Meta
Meta says it is officially moving to end news access for Canadians on its Facebook and Instagram platforms. The company says it is removing news for all Canadian users over the course of the next few weeks.

All news in Canada will be removed from Facebook, Instagram within weeks: Meta

As Singh tours Atlantic Canada, New Democrats look to flip Liberal seats

As Singh tours Atlantic Canada, New Democrats look to flip Liberal seats
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh is touring Atlantic Canada in an effort to highlight affordability issues — and flip two Liberal seats in the next federal election. Singh says voters who are increasingly struggling with the cost of living are dissatisfied with the federal government.

As Singh tours Atlantic Canada, New Democrats look to flip Liberal seats

Residents of Osoyoos, B.C., heading home after harrowing fire fight

Residents of Osoyoos, B.C., heading home after harrowing fire fight
BC Wildfire Service spokeswoman Shaelee Stearns says the reins in the fight against the Eagle Bluff fire are being transitioned to a new management team that will be in constant contact with U.S. counterparts. The fire has scorched more than 14 square kilometres on the B.C. side of the border and 40 square kilometres on the U.S side, where it has destroyed several structures.

Residents of Osoyoos, B.C., heading home after harrowing fire fight

Family of man who died in plane crash, along with five others, remembered as loving

Family of man who died in plane crash, along with five others, remembered as loving
Kirk Mealey was one of the six people aboard a small private plane that took off from Springbank Airport, west of Calgary, on Friday night and was headed to Salmon Arm, B.C. A family statement says Mealey's wife is expecting their son to be born late in August.

Family of man who died in plane crash, along with five others, remembered as loving

United Blvd. / Burbidge St. shut down in Coquitlam due to crash

United Blvd. / Burbidge St. shut down in Coquitlam due to crash
Officers responded to the accident and currently have the road closed both directions at United Blvd. / Burbidge St. Coquitlam B.C. The investigation is in the evidence gathering phase.

United Blvd. / Burbidge St. shut down in Coquitlam due to crash