Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canada's two major railways resume service as railroaders return to work

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Aug, 2024 11:07 AM
  • Canada's two major railways resume service as railroaders return to work

Trains began to trundle along the tracks of Canada's two major railways on Monday after the federal labour board ended a four-day work stoppage that snarled supply chains and upended commutes.

Amid a bitter labour dispute, the Canada Industrial Relations Board on Saturday ordered Canadian National Railway Co. and Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. to resume operations and 9,300 workers to return to their posts at 12:01 a.m. ahead of binding arbitration set to begin this week.

While commuters on CPKC-owned lines in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver enjoyed a smooth ride to work on Monday, both railways have said a full recovery for freight traffic will take weeks.

"This is a process that will take several weeks to get us back to normal and to catch up the backlog that was accumulated during the shutdown period," CN spokesman Jonathan Abecassis said in a phone interview.

The labour board's decision dropped two days after Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon directed the arm's-length tribunal to begin the arbitration process, saying the parties were at an impasse in contract talks and Canadian businesses and trade relationships were at stake.

The union has vowed to fight the labour board's decision in court, framing the outcome as a win for big business.

Teamsters Canada Rail Conference president Paul Boucher travelled to Halifax for the Liberal cabinet retreat this week, with a demonstration planned for Tuesday.

"What they have done to the railworkers … to stop the work stoppages fundamentally takes rights away from the rights to free collective bargaining, and we're protesting against that," Boucher said in an interview. 

MacKinnon defended the order for binding arbitration shortly before the cabinet meetings got underway on Sunday.

"It's hard to remember a decision that was more in the interest of Canadian workers," the minister said.

"When you think of shutdowns in potash mines, when you think of car plants running out of inventory, when you think of forestry and aluminum operations ... those are major economic consequences, and there are also major consequences in terms of salaries for unionized workers across the country."

CPKC lifted its lockout after the labour board's decision Saturday evening, but striking employees declined CPKC's request to return to work for Sunday, opting to go back on the job on Monday morning in line with the tribunal's ruling.

CN, which lifted its own lockout late last week, ramped up operations Monday. It first began the process of resuming shipments across 32,000 kilometres of track on Friday, with its employees never going on strike despite a 72-hour strike notice issued by the union that day.

While the financial impact of the stoppage remains unclear, Moody's warned it could cost the Canadian economy $341 million per day. Agriculture, forestry and manufacturing were among the hardest-hit sectors, the credit rating agency said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Boy nearly drowns in Port Moody lake

Boy nearly drowns in Port Moody lake
Police in Port Moody say a 14-year-old boy is in hospital in critical condition after he nearly drowned in a Metro Vancouver lake. They say that around 4 p-m on Saturday, first responders were called to Sasamat Lake for a report of a possible drowning.

Boy nearly drowns in Port Moody lake

Man arrested for fatal stabbing in Toronto

Man arrested for fatal stabbing in Toronto
A man was arrested in Surrey, B-C, for his role in a fatal stabbing that happened in downtown Toronto in March. Toronto Police say an altercation between a 55-year-old and four other men resulted in the stabbing and while the man was transported to hospital, he died soon after.  

Man arrested for fatal stabbing in Toronto

Shooting in Oliver

Shooting in Oliver
Mounties in the southern Interior of British Columbia are asking for the public's help after the body of a 29-year-old man was found. This comes after officers were called to a vineyard on the road Wednesday, where they confirmed a man was shot and killed. Police say the suspect left the scene but was found later that day at his home, where he was then arrested.    

Shooting in Oliver

Man flees from U.S. police, crashes in B.C. after speeding across border

Man flees from U.S. police, crashes in B.C. after speeding across border
Mounties in Surrey, B.C., say a driver who fled from authorities in the U.S., sped through the Peace Arch border crossing and crashed in British Columbia is now in custody.  They say RCMP responded to a report that a suspected stolen vehicle had crossed the border from Washington State around 8 p.m. Saturday.

Man flees from U.S. police, crashes in B.C. after speeding across border

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing man Kewal Singh

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing man Kewal Singh
Kewal Singh was last seen at approximately 4:00pm on July 23, 2023 in the 8500 block of 151A Street in Surrey. He has not been seen or heard from since. It is unusual for Singh to not be in contact with his family Police and family are concerned for his health and well-being.

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing man Kewal Singh

B.C. port union to recommend settlement agreement to its members

B.C. port union to recommend settlement agreement to its members
The BC Maritime Employers Association said Friday the agreement to be presented to workers is the same one the union's caucus rejected just days ago. In a statement, the association said the deal is the proposal reached with a federal mediator and was originally agreed to by both sides on July 13.

B.C. port union to recommend settlement agreement to its members