Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canadian doctor says WHO headquarters 'stressed, devastated' as Trump orders U.S. exit

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 11:36 AM
  • Canadian doctor says WHO headquarters 'stressed, devastated' as Trump orders U.S. exit

Staff at the World Health Organization are "devastated" by President Donald Trump's executive order to pull the U.S. out of the agency, a Canadian global health specialist says. 

Dr. Madhukar Pai, the Canada Research Chair in Epidemiology and Global Health, is at the WHO headquarters in Geneva this week for meetings about tuberculosis and was there at the time Trump signed the order Monday.  

"Everything went crazy," said Pai, who is also a global health professor at McGill University in Montreal, in an interview from Geneva on Tuesday. 

”Everybody here is absolutely stressed, devastated, and literally freaking out because some of their programs at WHO are extremely reliant on U.S. government funding," he said.  

"They’re not even sure how to keep the lights on, keep their staff working, keep the programs going, so it's a pretty massive crisis."

Losing the large amount of funding the U.S. provides the WHO — about 18 per cent of its budget in 2023, according to the agency — is a threat to public health, Pai said.   

”There are wide-ranging impacts, I would say, to all countries, not just Canada,” he said. 

But Canada's geographic proximity puts it at additional risk if its southern neighbour fails to respond appropriately to public health threats, Pai said. 

"I think we'll be hit, for example, if there is a new outbreak and (the) U.S. is simply not engaged with WHO or the global response. And if that outbreak spreads within the U.S. ... I think Canada will be the first one to be impacted given the movement of population between our two countries, trade and our fairly open borders.”

One current threat is H5N1 avian flu — a highly pathogenic strain of influenza that has wiped out poultry farms in both Canada and the U.S., he said. Although the illness has primarily infected U.S. farm workers with mild symptoms, one senior who was exposed to a backyard flock in Louisiana died of the virus earlier this month. 

Canada has had one confirmed human case of H5N1 —a teenage girl in B.C. who became severely ill and was hospitalized. 

Pai is calling on the Canadian government — along with other G7 countries — to "step up" and help fill the funding void that will be left by the U.S., both through financial contributions to the WHO as well as by taking a leadership role in global health. 

But he noted Canada's own political turmoil — including the Liberal leadership race to replace Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Trump's threat to slap punishing tariffs on the country — could make that unlikely.

"Our leaders are probably more worried about the tariffs than they are worried about anything else at this stage," Pai said. 

Dr. Prabhat Jha, founding director of the Centre for Global Health Research  at Unity Health Toronto, said he would also like to see the Canadian government increase support for the WHO. 

But he said the country that will hurt the most from Trump's withdrawal is the U.S. itself. 

”A lot of it is symbolism ... Trump basically, you know, giving the middle finger to the world," Jha said in an interview from Sierra Leone on Tuesday.  

"In the end, it's going to hurt Americans because they lose the (health) intelligence, they lose the access to the global networks if there's another pandemic," he said. 

"(The WHO) won't share the information as easily with the U.S. as they would otherwise."

A bigger concern, Jha said, is the message the U.S. pullout "sends about nationalism."

"(It says) basically that you don't need to have global co-operation on disease, which is absolutely stupid and completely self defeating."

Jha said the "silver lining" of Trump's move is that it could spark "reform" to make the WHO less dependent on the U.S. 

"It means the world has to co-operate more, even if America goes it alone."

In a statement issued Tuesday, the World Health Organization said it "regrets" Trump's decision. 

"We hope the United States will reconsider and we look forward to engaging in constructive dialogue to maintain the partnership between the USA and WHO, for the benefit of the health and well-being of millions of people around the globe," it said.

Trump's executive order claimed the U.S. was cutting ties with WHO for reasons including alleged "mishandling of the COVID-19 pandemic" and "unfairly onerous payments."

Pai noted that the order comes as vaccine-preventable diseases are on the rise — including increasing cases of measles in both the U.S. and Canada. 

In addition to losing WHO's leadership on vaccination, he also worries about the "anti-vaccine rhetoric" from some of Trump's picks for appointees to leadership positions, Pai said, noting increased vaccination efforts are urgently needed.   

”It’s actually pretty shocking for me, stunning for me, to see that in 2025 we're dealing with measles in Canada or (the) U.S.," he said. 

"We cannot go back in time to a period where kids were getting paralyzed with polio or dying of measles and whooping cough. We had come a long, long way and we're now starting to slip back and that's very scary.”

In an email to The Canadian Press, a spokesperson for the Public Health Agency of Canada said Canada’s membership in the WHO "allows us to benefit from the availability of knowledge, resources and expertise from the global community."

"Canada will continue working to ensure that the WHO is an effective, accountable, inclusive and well-governed institution, while maintaining our sovereignty," Anna Maddison wrote. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ship stranded in St. Lawrence River

Ship stranded in St. Lawrence River
A second attempt to free a ship stuck in the St. Lawrence River northeast of Montreal won't take place until Sunday. The Canadian Coast Guard says the owner of the MV Maccoa plans to unload more than 3,000 metric tons of corn to lighten the weight of the vessel.

Ship stranded in St. Lawrence River

Saskatchewan United Party leader steps down

Saskatchewan United Party leader steps down
The leader of the Saskatchewan United Party says he's stepping aside after it failed to win any seats in October's provincial election. Jon Hromek says in a letter to party supporters that his decision to resign as leader and step away from the party was not made lightly. 

Saskatchewan United Party leader steps down

Climate change taking toll on Canada's lighthouses

Climate change taking toll on Canada's lighthouses
The recent decision to move a Nova Scotia lighthouse inland to prevent it from falling into the Bay of Fundy is highlighting the impact of climate change on the province's coastline. For more than 150 years, the Walton Harbour lighthouse stood watch from a cliff overlooking the bay -- but in recent years, coastal erosion had left the wooden tower perilously close to the edge.

Climate change taking toll on Canada's lighthouses

Rare cougar sighting reported in urban Vancouver, far from wilderness

Rare cougar sighting reported in urban Vancouver, far from wilderness
A rare cougar sighting has been reported in Vancouver's urban Dunbar neighbourhood. The BC Conservation Officer Service says in a statement that the big cat was reported on Dec. 26 around Blenheim Street between 26th and 36th Avenues.

Rare cougar sighting reported in urban Vancouver, far from wilderness

Governor General urges Canadians to care for their mental, physical health

Governor General urges Canadians to care for their mental, physical health
Gov. Gen. Mary Simon is urging Canadians to treat their mental health with the same care as their physical health as they prepare for the year ahead. In a new year's message, Simon says she is thinking of all the inspiring people she met in 2024.

Governor General urges Canadians to care for their mental, physical health

B.C. police find 'ghost gun' in car after driver said she couldn't remember name

B.C. police find 'ghost gun' in car after driver said she couldn't remember name
The BC Highway Patrol says the incident happened in Fort St. John on Dec. 13, when an officer stopped the 39-year-old woman to check for impaired driving. Police say while the driver was not impaired, she told the officer she could not recall her name, prompting a vehicle search.

B.C. police find 'ghost gun' in car after driver said she couldn't remember name