Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canadian hantavirus case confirmed by national laboratory test

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 May, 2026 09:28 AM
  • Canadian hantavirus case confirmed by national laboratory test

Laboratory testing has confirmed the presumptive positive case of the Andes strain of hantavirus reported in British Columbia

The Public Health Agency of Canada confirmed the results Sunday in a resident of the Yukon who had been on the MV Hondius cruise ship where there was an outbreak.

The agency said samples were sent to its national laboratory in Winnipeg for confirmatory testing, after B.C. health officials announced the presumptive positive test on Saturday.

One person's sample was confirmed positive, while their travelling partner's test was confirmed negative

"There have been no further cases identified at this time. All high-risk contacts are isolating and will continue to be monitored closely by local public health," a statement from the agency said.

B.C.'s provincial health officer announced Saturday that one of the four Canadians who was isolating on Vancouver Island had received a "presumptive positive" test.

Dr. Bonnie Henry told a news conference that the person was part of a couple from the Yukon who were isolating and developed mild symptoms on Thursday, including a fever and a headache.

The public health agency said it has provided the information about the positive case, which is the first in a Canadian, to the World Health Organization. 

"All confirmed cases to date have been passengers or crew on the MV Hondius cruise ship," the statement said. "Given the severity of this virus, we are taking a precautionary approach to ensure Canadians are protected."

Dr. Lynora Saxinger, an infectious disease expert at the University of Alberta, said the risk from the hantavirus outbreak on the ship continues to be low for the general public even after the confirmed case. 

The Canadian who is sick was on the ship where the initial outbreak happened, she said, and tested positive during the incubation period.

"What would worry me most, looking at any kind of an outbreak situation, is if we start to see a second or third generation of transmission away from the people who were exposed to the case that obviously had a high viral load on the ship," she said.

"Or if there was any kind of unlinked transmission, so a new case popped up and you didn't know where they'd gotten it."

A total of four people were flown to Vancouver Island after being on the ship and had been isolating when the person who has now tested positive began displaying symptoms.

B.C. health officials said Saturday that three of the four are now being cared for in hospitals while the fourth person continues to isolate at home. 

They have been identified as the couple in their 70s from the Yukon, a person in their 70s from Vancouver Island, and a person from B.C. in their 50s who lives abroad.

Saxinger said being elderly puts someone at higher risk of severe outcomes from the illness.

She said the group was transferred from the ship in a medically secure way and then were handled appropriately when they landed.

"And so I don't think that it really changes the risk equation for anybody else," she said.

So far, 12 worldwide cases of hantavirus have been linked to the cruise ship, including the one Canadian. 

On Thursday, Canada's chief public health officer said 26 people from across the country who were considered low risk were asked to monitor for symptoms, while another nine, including the couple, were classified as high risk. 

Those high-risk people in Ontario, Alberta and B.C. were asked to isolate, and were being monitored. 

Picture Courtesy: AP Photo/Misper Apawu

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. man who viewed child abuse images in B.C. café gets 535 days in jail

B.C. man who viewed child abuse images in B.C. café gets 535 days in jail
A British Columbia man has been sentenced to more than 17 months in prison after police found several collections with thousands of child sexual abuse images in a multi-year investigation in which he was arrested at least four times.

B.C. man who viewed child abuse images in B.C. café gets 535 days in jail

Carney's trade advisory group meets for 1st time, welcomes new member

Carney's trade advisory group meets for 1st time, welcomes new member
Prime Minister Mark Carney's new advisory council on Canada—U.S. trade met for the first time today, ahead of trade negotiations with President Donald Trump's White House that are set to begin over the coming months.

Carney's trade advisory group meets for 1st time, welcomes new member

B.C. Supreme Court hearings begin for legal challenges to LNG pipeline project

B.C. Supreme Court hearings begin for legal challenges to LNG pipeline project
The B.C. Supreme Court is set to weigh in on two legal challenges filed over the provincial government's decision to allow a liquefied natural gas pipeline project to go ahead on a 12-year-old environmental review. 

B.C. Supreme Court hearings begin for legal challenges to LNG pipeline project

Over 15,000 attend Surrey’s 15th annual Party for the Planet

Over 15,000 attend Surrey’s 15th annual Party for the Planet
The City of Surrey proudly marked its 15th annual Party for the Planet at Surrey Civic Plaza last Saturday. Presented by TD Bank Group, more than 15,000 attendees gathered for B.C.’s largest Earth Day event, celebrating sustainability, community, and environmental action.

Over 15,000 attend Surrey’s 15th annual Party for the Planet

Child advocates call for online harms bill covering AI chatbots, gaming

Child advocates call for online harms bill covering AI chatbots, gaming
Ottawa can't afford to wait any longer to introduce new online harms legislation that covers AI chatbots and video games, children’s advocates and about a dozen kids told a press conference on Parliament Hill Monday.

Child advocates call for online harms bill covering AI chatbots, gaming

Canadian manufacturers call for tariffs on global imports of wood products

Canadian manufacturers call for tariffs on global imports of wood products
Canadian wood manufacturers are welcoming a trade inquiry into wood imports but say the investigation needs to be followed by immediate provisional tariffs on foreign-made goods entering the country.

Canadian manufacturers call for tariffs on global imports of wood products