Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Jun, 2023 10:04 AM
  • Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Canadian wildfires are continuing to send heavy clouds of smoke south, from Northern Ontario and Quebec, through both provinces and into the United States.

Environment Canada has issued special air quality statements for large areas of Ontario and Quebec warning of high levels of air pollution due to the smoke.

The agency says wildfire smoke plumes moved into the impacted areas including the Greater Toronto Area, Hamilton, Windsor, Barrie and London in Ontario and most of northern Quebec. 

It says people with lung or heart disease, older adults, children and others are at higher risk of suffering adverse health effects of forest fires smoke. 

The agency says wildfire pollution level can fluctuate over time and can vary depending on the location, but air quality is expected to improve for some areas on Thursday night.

Air quality warnings are also in effect in Chicago and Detroit and along with Toronto, they occupy three of the top four spots on Air-I-Q's global ranking for poor air quality.

As of this morning, Dubai in the United Arab Emirates tops the list of major cities with a significant score of 411 -- putting its air quality in the "Hazardous" category. Detroit ranks second, followed by Chicago, and Toronto in fourth, with an "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups" rating of 159.

Still, some of the smaller communities in Southern Ontario are fairing far worse, with Sarnia scoring 372, as of 3:30 a.m., a score that places the city not far behind Dubai. Air-I-Q updates its numbers hourly.

The Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre's website shows there are 487 active fires burning across the country this morning, with 253 of them classified as out of control.

As of Tuesday afternoon, there were 66 active fires in Northern Ontario, and as of this morning, 76 fires were burning across Quebec.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man hurt in Surrey shooting not expected to live

Man hurt in Surrey shooting not expected to live
A police statement says the 24-year-old was shot late Thursday night and was rushed to hospital but is not expected to survive. A second shooting was reported about four kilometres away in the neighbouring municipality of Delta, roughly an hour after the Surrey attack.  

Man hurt in Surrey shooting not expected to live

Overnight shooting in Delta injures one, deemed gang related

Overnight shooting in Delta injures one, deemed gang related
Via release, police say that this is a targeted shooting and appears to be related to the Lower Mainland Gang Conflict and the victim was the target. The victim has been transported to the hospital for treatment.

Overnight shooting in Delta injures one, deemed gang related

Payments for GST rebate boost to go out today

Payments for GST rebate boost to go out today
A bill introduced by the Liberal government to temporarily double the rebate became law last month with unanimous support from opposition parties. The NDP has long advocated for the measure to help low- and modest-income Canadians cope with the rising cost of living.

Payments for GST rebate boost to go out today

Shooting in Surrey sends one to hospital

Shooting in Surrey sends one to hospital
RCMP were called to the 92nd Avenue and King George Boulevard area in the neighbourhood of Whalley just after 10 p.m. Thursday for a report of a shooting. When officers arrived, they found the injured victim.  

Shooting in Surrey sends one to hospital

Storms ease severe drought for B.C.'s south coast

Storms ease severe drought for B.C.'s south coast
The province's online drought map shows most of southern B.C., including east Vancouver Island and Metro Vancouver, is now ranked at drought Level 3, which means adverse drought impacts are possible. That's a drop from the most severe Level 5 rating, which covered much of the Island and inner south coast until this week.

Storms ease severe drought for B.C.'s south coast

Health Canada greenlights updated Moderna booster

Health Canada greenlights updated Moderna booster
It comes two months after Health Canada authorized a bivalent booster from Moderna that targeted the Omicron BA.1 subvariant and the original strain. Health Canada says a bivalent booster triggers "a strong immune response" against both of the more recent Omicron subvariants,as well as the original SARS-CoV-2 virus strains.

Health Canada greenlights updated Moderna booster