Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Jun, 2023 10:04 AM
  • Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Canadian wildfires are continuing to send heavy clouds of smoke south, from Northern Ontario and Quebec, through both provinces and into the United States.

Environment Canada has issued special air quality statements for large areas of Ontario and Quebec warning of high levels of air pollution due to the smoke.

The agency says wildfire smoke plumes moved into the impacted areas including the Greater Toronto Area, Hamilton, Windsor, Barrie and London in Ontario and most of northern Quebec. 

It says people with lung or heart disease, older adults, children and others are at higher risk of suffering adverse health effects of forest fires smoke. 

The agency says wildfire pollution level can fluctuate over time and can vary depending on the location, but air quality is expected to improve for some areas on Thursday night.

Air quality warnings are also in effect in Chicago and Detroit and along with Toronto, they occupy three of the top four spots on Air-I-Q's global ranking for poor air quality.

As of this morning, Dubai in the United Arab Emirates tops the list of major cities with a significant score of 411 -- putting its air quality in the "Hazardous" category. Detroit ranks second, followed by Chicago, and Toronto in fourth, with an "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups" rating of 159.

Still, some of the smaller communities in Southern Ontario are fairing far worse, with Sarnia scoring 372, as of 3:30 a.m., a score that places the city not far behind Dubai. Air-I-Q updates its numbers hourly.

The Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre's website shows there are 487 active fires burning across the country this morning, with 253 of them classified as out of control.

As of Tuesday afternoon, there were 66 active fires in Northern Ontario, and as of this morning, 76 fires were burning across Quebec.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

93 year old man knocked to the ground and suffers broken hip in stranger attack

93 year old man knocked to the ground and suffers broken hip in stranger attack
The victim – a neighbourhood resident for 30 years – was walking to a bakery near Main Street and East Pender when he was pushed over by a stranger around 3:15 Tuesday afternoon. Several witnesses stopped to help the senior, who was taken to hospital.

93 year old man knocked to the ground and suffers broken hip in stranger attack

B.C. readies for post-drought flooding: government

B.C. readies for post-drought flooding: government
Emergency Management BC says when rain falls after long dry spells, the parched soil can increase runoff and river flow. It says the transition to the rainy season doesn't typically cause extensive flooding and the devastation wreaked by last year's atmospheric rivers was rare. 

B.C. readies for post-drought flooding: government

B.C. health workers, employers ratify contract

B.C. health workers, employers ratify contract
The B.C. government says in a statement the Facilities Bargaining Association, which represents about 60,000 people delivering health services throughout the province, has ratified a new contract. It says the nine-union association is led by the Hospital Employees' Union, which represents about 93 per cent of the health workers covered by the agreement.

B.C. health workers, employers ratify contract

Metro Vancouver urges shorter showers amid drought

Metro Vancouver urges shorter showers amid drought
A statement from the regional district of Metro Vancouver says water use is up by 20 per cent for this time of year because of the extended dry, warm weather. It says the area's watersheds have received about 50 millimetres of rain since the start of August, when it would typically see about 400 millimetres between Aug. 1 and Oct. 1.

Metro Vancouver urges shorter showers amid drought

Defence in Todd case now seeks 2-year sentence

Defence in Todd case now seeks 2-year sentence
Joseph Saulnier told a sentencing hearing in B.C. Supreme Court that his client is already serving an 11-year sentence for similar offences against 33 young victims in the Netherlands and more prison time would be "unduly harsh."

Defence in Todd case now seeks 2-year sentence

South Asian broadcaster and media personality Harjinder Thind awarded The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal

South Asian broadcaster and media personality Harjinder Thind awarded The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal
The commemorative medal marks the 70th anniversary of the Late Queen Elizabeth's coronation. The honor was bestowed upon Thind by Fleetwood-Port Kells MP Ken Hardie. Hardie was present for the award at the Red FM 93.1 studio in Surrey. 

South Asian broadcaster and media personality Harjinder Thind awarded The Queen's Platinum Jubilee Medal