Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Jun, 2023 10:04 AM
  • Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Canadian wildfires are continuing to send heavy clouds of smoke south, from Northern Ontario and Quebec, through both provinces and into the United States.

Environment Canada has issued special air quality statements for large areas of Ontario and Quebec warning of high levels of air pollution due to the smoke.

The agency says wildfire smoke plumes moved into the impacted areas including the Greater Toronto Area, Hamilton, Windsor, Barrie and London in Ontario and most of northern Quebec. 

It says people with lung or heart disease, older adults, children and others are at higher risk of suffering adverse health effects of forest fires smoke. 

The agency says wildfire pollution level can fluctuate over time and can vary depending on the location, but air quality is expected to improve for some areas on Thursday night.

Air quality warnings are also in effect in Chicago and Detroit and along with Toronto, they occupy three of the top four spots on Air-I-Q's global ranking for poor air quality.

As of this morning, Dubai in the United Arab Emirates tops the list of major cities with a significant score of 411 -- putting its air quality in the "Hazardous" category. Detroit ranks second, followed by Chicago, and Toronto in fourth, with an "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups" rating of 159.

Still, some of the smaller communities in Southern Ontario are fairing far worse, with Sarnia scoring 372, as of 3:30 a.m., a score that places the city not far behind Dubai. Air-I-Q updates its numbers hourly.

The Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre's website shows there are 487 active fires burning across the country this morning, with 253 of them classified as out of control.

As of Tuesday afternoon, there were 66 active fires in Northern Ontario, and as of this morning, 76 fires were burning across Quebec.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada overdue in Indo-Pacific strategy: experts

Canada overdue in Indo-Pacific strategy: experts
A new book urges the Liberals to outline its friends, foes and priorities in the region spanning India to British Columbia. Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly said this spring that a strategy was imminent, but her office still has no timeline for when it will be released.  

Canada overdue in Indo-Pacific strategy: experts

B.C. cabinet minister Melanie Mark to take leave

B.C. cabinet minister Melanie Mark to take leave
Mark was the minister for tourism, arts, culture and sport. She will continue to represent the riding of Vancouver-Mount Pleasant in the legislature. Mark is the first First Nations woman elected to B.C.'s legislative assembly, and the first to serve as a cabinet minister.

B.C. cabinet minister Melanie Mark to take leave

Nearly 1,500 drug deaths in B.C. this year

Nearly 1,500 drug deaths in B.C. this year
New data from the service cites 169 drug deaths last month, representing a 12 per cent decrease from July, and equating to about 5.5 deaths per day. It says illicit drug toxicity is the leading cause of unnatural death in B.C., with an average of 184 drug deaths each month since October 2020.

Nearly 1,500 drug deaths in B.C. this year

B.C. prepares for flu and COVID-19 this fall

B.C. prepares for flu and COVID-19 this fall
Officials said during a technical briefing today that pressures on the health system including staffing shortages are being factored into planning for hospital bed capacity. This is expected to be the first season the flu has a significant comeback since pandemic restrictions dampened the spread of it and other respiratory illnesses over the past two years.

B.C. prepares for flu and COVID-19 this fall

Young female student randomly attacked in Downtown, hit over the back of the head with a pole

Young female student randomly attacked in Downtown, hit over the back of the head with a pole
The victim was injured and required medical attention, however the injuries are not life threatening. Several officers flooded the area in search of the suspect, however he has not yet been located.

Young female student randomly attacked in Downtown, hit over the back of the head with a pole

WATCH: Surrey Mayor announces new swimming pool for North Surrey

WATCH: Surrey Mayor announces new swimming pool for North Surrey
With a rapidly growing population, the Mayor and Safe Surrey Coalition recognize the need for more infrastructure across the City of Surrey. Recently announcing his plan to build a new swimming pool for residents living in Cloverdale and Clayton at the Clayton Community Centre, Mayor Doug McCallum has now turned his attention to North Surrey. 

WATCH: Surrey Mayor announces new swimming pool for North Surrey