Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 28 Jun, 2023 10:04 AM
  • Canadian wildfires send smoke south, triggering air quality warnings

Canadian wildfires are continuing to send heavy clouds of smoke south, from Northern Ontario and Quebec, through both provinces and into the United States.

Environment Canada has issued special air quality statements for large areas of Ontario and Quebec warning of high levels of air pollution due to the smoke.

The agency says wildfire smoke plumes moved into the impacted areas including the Greater Toronto Area, Hamilton, Windsor, Barrie and London in Ontario and most of northern Quebec. 

It says people with lung or heart disease, older adults, children and others are at higher risk of suffering adverse health effects of forest fires smoke. 

The agency says wildfire pollution level can fluctuate over time and can vary depending on the location, but air quality is expected to improve for some areas on Thursday night.

Air quality warnings are also in effect in Chicago and Detroit and along with Toronto, they occupy three of the top four spots on Air-I-Q's global ranking for poor air quality.

As of this morning, Dubai in the United Arab Emirates tops the list of major cities with a significant score of 411 -- putting its air quality in the "Hazardous" category. Detroit ranks second, followed by Chicago, and Toronto in fourth, with an "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups" rating of 159.

Still, some of the smaller communities in Southern Ontario are fairing far worse, with Sarnia scoring 372, as of 3:30 a.m., a score that places the city not far behind Dubai. Air-I-Q updates its numbers hourly.

The Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre's website shows there are 487 active fires burning across the country this morning, with 253 of them classified as out of control.

As of Tuesday afternoon, there were 66 active fires in Northern Ontario, and as of this morning, 76 fires were burning across Quebec.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday
RCMP Const. Mike Della-Paolera says police responded to a report that the boy was unconscious and not breathing and arrived at a home as a family member was performing CPR on the child on the hood of his vehicle. Della-Paolera says police were told the child had ingested an unknown substance.

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday

Vancouver Police search for high-risk offender wanted Canada-wide

Vancouver Police search for high-risk offender wanted Canada-wide
John Frederick Field, 60, received statutory release from Kent Institution on Thursday, but left his Vancouver halfway house around 7:30 p.m. and has not been seen or heard from since.His current whereabouts are unknown, and he is considered a significant risk to the public.

Vancouver Police search for high-risk offender wanted Canada-wide

Charges approved following Indecent Act in Burnaby

Charges approved following Indecent Act in Burnaby
Charges have been approved against a 59-year-old man in relation to an Indecent Act that occurred on Lougheed Highway in North Burnaby earlier this year. Burnaby RCMP’s High Risk Offender Unit took conduct of the investigation with assistance from other plainclothes units within the detachment.

Charges approved following Indecent Act in Burnaby

IHIT has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting.

IHIT has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting.
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting. Officers attended the scene and located two men associated to a taxi suffering from gun shot wounds.  

IHIT has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting.

Chief justice welcomes O'Bonsawin to Supreme Court

Chief justice welcomes O'Bonsawin to Supreme Court
In a statement today, Richard Wagner says Michelle O'Bonsawin has proven herself to be principled, authentic and hard-working throughout her career as a lawyer and judge. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau nominated O'Bonsawin earlier this month and on Friday confirmed her appointment to the top court effective Sept. 1.

Chief justice welcomes O'Bonsawin to Supreme Court

Cannabis stores close amid job action in B.C.

Cannabis stores close amid job action in B.C.
Mood Cannabis Co. chief executive Cory Waldron says he had to lay off 90 per cent of staff at his two Nanaimo stores because they weren't receiving deliveries from the BC Liquor Distribution Branch.

Cannabis stores close amid job action in B.C.