Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Canadians sitting on $2 billion in uncashed federal cheques: documents

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Feb, 2026 10:28 AM
  • Canadians sitting on $2 billion in uncashed federal cheques: documents

Canadians have left some $2 billion in funds on the table by not cashing millions of paper cheques mailed out by federal government departments.

Documents tabled recently in Parliament reveal Ottawa issued 3.9 million paper cheques to Canadians over the past four years that went uncashed.

That includes $141 million in cheques for the Canada Carbon Rebate, a program to offset the cost of carbon pricing.

Even though that rebate program was cancelled, government cheques never expire.

Families also did not cash roughly $42.8 million in cheques for the Canada Child Benefit, a tax-free monthly payment meant to help with the expense of raising children.

While the federal government prefers to pay Canadians by direct deposit, some benefits are still distributed through the mail.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang

MORE National ARTICLES

Judge upholds obstruction conviction for B.C. Mountie in Dale Culver case

Judge upholds obstruction conviction for B.C. Mountie in Dale Culver case
A provincial court judge has ruled that the guilty verdict stands for an RCMP officer convicted of obstruction of justice in the case of an Indigenous man who died in police custody in 2017, clearing the way for sentencing.

Judge upholds obstruction conviction for B.C. Mountie in Dale Culver case

Transparency advocates call for independent review of Access to Information Act

Transparency advocates call for independent review of Access to Information Act
Transparency advocates say a coming federal review of the Access to Information Act should be overseen by an independent panel, not the government, to avoid the pitfalls of the last such exercise.

Transparency advocates call for independent review of Access to Information Act

Quebec says it will drop permanent immigration targets to as low as 25,000 per year

Quebec says it will drop permanent immigration targets to as low as 25,000 per year
Quebec's immigration minister says the government will drop its permanent immigration targets to as low as 25,000 people per year, and keep them low until Ottawa agrees to slash the number of temporary residents in the province by half.

Quebec says it will drop permanent immigration targets to as low as 25,000 per year

Man with al-Qaida links charged with threatening attack in Montreal

Man with al-Qaida links charged with threatening attack in Montreal
A man previously convicted of supporting al-Qaida has been charged after allegedly threatening an attack in Montreal. 

Man with al-Qaida links charged with threatening attack in Montreal

Five things to know about Canada's counter-tariffs on the U.S.

Five things to know about Canada's counter-tariffs on the U.S.
After U.S. President Donald Trump boosted steel and aluminum tariffs to 50 per cent, some industry groups and the Official Opposition have called on the federal government to retaliate in kind. 

Five things to know about Canada's counter-tariffs on the U.S.

Carney and Li agree to regularize communication between Canada and China

Carney and Li agree to regularize communication between Canada and China
Prime Minister Mark Carney and Chinese Premier Li Qiang have agreed to regularize channels of communication between the two countries.

Carney and Li agree to regularize communication between Canada and China