Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Carney says he'll 'take note' of opposition motion to table a spring economic update

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Jun, 2025 02:41 PM
  • Carney says he'll 'take note' of opposition motion to table a spring economic update

Prime Minister Mark Carney said he will "take noteof the successful opposition motion to add language calling for a spring economic update to the throne speech, but did not say when or how that will happen.

"We take note of last night's motion. But what Canadians deserve … what Canadian provinces deserve is a health care transfer, a transfer for child care, a transfer for dental care and a transfer to support affordability. That's what's in the main estimates and we expect the support of members opposite," Carney said during question period Tuesday.

The government last week tabled main spending estimates worth nearly $487 billion. MPs will be required to vote on the estimates to keep government operations running into the summer.

Conservative and Bloc MPs used their time during question period Tuesday to press the government to table a budget so they know what the government's finances look like before voting on more spending.

Asked about tabling a spring budget or an economic update, Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne said he's "already talked about that."

Champagne has said that the government is working toward a fall budget.

Speaking before the Liberal cabinet meeting Tuesday morning, government whip Mark Gerretsen insisted nothing went wrong on Monday when opposition parties successfully amended the throne speech to call on the government to table an economic update before Parliament breaks for the summer.

The Liberals were defeated 166 to 164 on that vote. 

Four Liberal Liberal MPs did not vote because of paired abstentions, which happen when parties agree to have a member sit out a vote because someone from another party is not able to attend.

Gerretsen told reporters on his way into a cabinet meeting Tuesday morning that everything went according to plan.

"Every single person who was supposed to vote yesterday voted," he said.

The amendment, tabled by House of Commons Opposition Leader Andrew Scheer, added a passage to the throne speech calling for a spring economic update.

The amendment said that update should include the government's plan to "unleash Canada's economic potential" and explain how it will respect provincial jurisdiction and Indigenous rights.

The amendment includes language inserted by the Bloc Québécois and the NDP, and all three opposition parties voted to support it.

Government House leader Steven MacKinnon said Tuesday the vote that really matters is the confidence motion on adopting the throne speech, set for Wednesday.

"It was a non-binding advisory resolution of the House of Commons. I suspect you're going to see a lot more of them," MacKinnon said.

"I think the note said 'urge' and we'll take note of having been urged." 

The minority Liberal government has 169 MPs, including House Speaker Francis Scarpaleggia — who does not vote, except in the event of a tie.

That leaves the Liberals four votes shy of a majority, meaning they have to work with other parties to pass legislation and survive confidence motions.

The NDP, which had a supply-and-confidence agreement with the previous Liberal government, has said it will not enter a formal arrangement to support Prime Minister Carney's government. The NDP was reduced to seven MPs in the recent election but could still hold the balance of power.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said his party's 144 MPs will not "reflexively oppose" the government and will support measures that improve the status quo.

But the Conservatives also have been highly critical of the government's plan to delay introducing a budget — traditionally released in the spring — until this fall.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

MORE National ARTICLES

Missing snowboarder found dead on Cypress Mountain, B.C.

Missing snowboarder found dead on Cypress Mountain, B.C.
A 21-year-old snowboarder who went missing last week at the Cypress Mountain Resort near Vancouver has been found dead in a gully.  West Vancouver Police say in a statement the snowboarder from Richmond, B.C., was reported missing Friday at about 10:45 a.m.

Missing snowboarder found dead on Cypress Mountain, B.C.

No 'traitors' in Parliament, but more steps needed to counter interference: report

No 'traitors' in Parliament, but more steps needed to counter interference: report
In her final report released Tuesday, inquiry Commissioner Marie-Josée Hogue concludes that while the threat of foreign interference is real, Canada's democratic institutions have held up well against the dangers.

No 'traitors' in Parliament, but more steps needed to counter interference: report

Bridge over Okanagan Lake in B.C. reopens after bomb scare, fire in van

Bridge over Okanagan Lake in B.C. reopens after bomb scare, fire in van
Police have reopened a bridge across Okanagan Lake in the B.C. Interior after an explosives scare that shut it down for about 11 hours. Officers say the incident began early Monday morning when a man parked a white panel van across multiple lanes of the William R. Bennett Bridge and posted online remarks about the contents.

Bridge over Okanagan Lake in B.C. reopens after bomb scare, fire in van

Kelowna Bridge has reopens after an overnight closure prompted by a call about a person in crisis

Kelowna Bridge has reopens after an overnight closure prompted by a call about a person in crisis
Police in Kelowna say the William Bennet Bridge has reopened after an overnight closure that was prompted by a call about a person in crisis. RCMP say officers had responded at about 3:45 a-m, finding the person had parked a vehicle across the eastbound lanes of the bridge.

Kelowna Bridge has reopens after an overnight closure prompted by a call about a person in crisis

Two people are facing charges in Prince George after police seized drugs and guns during an attempted traffic stop

Two people are facing charges in Prince George after police seized drugs and guns during an attempted traffic stop
Two people are facing charges in Prince George after police seized drugs and guns during an attempted traffic stop. R-C-M-P say officers were patrolling along Highway 97 last week when they tried to stop a driver who they allegedly saw committing motor vehicle infractions.

Two people are facing charges in Prince George after police seized drugs and guns during an attempted traffic stop

One dead after a single-vehicle rollover crash in Delta

One dead after a single-vehicle rollover crash in Delta
One person is dead after a single-vehicle rollover crash in Metro Vancouver. Police in Delta say it happened last night along Highway 99, near the exit for Highway 17, where a pick-up truck crashed into a barrier before rolling onto its roof.

One dead after a single-vehicle rollover crash in Delta