Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Carney says he'll 'take note' of opposition motion to table a spring economic update

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Jun, 2025 02:41 PM
  • Carney says he'll 'take note' of opposition motion to table a spring economic update

Prime Minister Mark Carney said he will "take noteof the successful opposition motion to add language calling for a spring economic update to the throne speech, but did not say when or how that will happen.

"We take note of last night's motion. But what Canadians deserve … what Canadian provinces deserve is a health care transfer, a transfer for child care, a transfer for dental care and a transfer to support affordability. That's what's in the main estimates and we expect the support of members opposite," Carney said during question period Tuesday.

The government last week tabled main spending estimates worth nearly $487 billion. MPs will be required to vote on the estimates to keep government operations running into the summer.

Conservative and Bloc MPs used their time during question period Tuesday to press the government to table a budget so they know what the government's finances look like before voting on more spending.

Asked about tabling a spring budget or an economic update, Finance Minister François-Philippe Champagne said he's "already talked about that."

Champagne has said that the government is working toward a fall budget.

Speaking before the Liberal cabinet meeting Tuesday morning, government whip Mark Gerretsen insisted nothing went wrong on Monday when opposition parties successfully amended the throne speech to call on the government to table an economic update before Parliament breaks for the summer.

The Liberals were defeated 166 to 164 on that vote. 

Four Liberal Liberal MPs did not vote because of paired abstentions, which happen when parties agree to have a member sit out a vote because someone from another party is not able to attend.

Gerretsen told reporters on his way into a cabinet meeting Tuesday morning that everything went according to plan.

"Every single person who was supposed to vote yesterday voted," he said.

The amendment, tabled by House of Commons Opposition Leader Andrew Scheer, added a passage to the throne speech calling for a spring economic update.

The amendment said that update should include the government's plan to "unleash Canada's economic potential" and explain how it will respect provincial jurisdiction and Indigenous rights.

The amendment includes language inserted by the Bloc Québécois and the NDP, and all three opposition parties voted to support it.

Government House leader Steven MacKinnon said Tuesday the vote that really matters is the confidence motion on adopting the throne speech, set for Wednesday.

"It was a non-binding advisory resolution of the House of Commons. I suspect you're going to see a lot more of them," MacKinnon said.

"I think the note said 'urge' and we'll take note of having been urged." 

The minority Liberal government has 169 MPs, including House Speaker Francis Scarpaleggia — who does not vote, except in the event of a tie.

That leaves the Liberals four votes shy of a majority, meaning they have to work with other parties to pass legislation and survive confidence motions.

The NDP, which had a supply-and-confidence agreement with the previous Liberal government, has said it will not enter a formal arrangement to support Prime Minister Carney's government. The NDP was reduced to seven MPs in the recent election but could still hold the balance of power.

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre said his party's 144 MPs will not "reflexively oppose" the government and will support measures that improve the status quo.

But the Conservatives also have been highly critical of the government's plan to delay introducing a budget — traditionally released in the spring — until this fall.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

MORE National ARTICLES

How Canada is reacting to the inauguration of U.S. President Donald Trump

How Canada is reacting to the inauguration of U.S. President Donald Trump
Here's how notable Canadian politicians and groups are reacting to Donald Trump’s inauguration as president of the United States Monday. While Trump initially promised to impose damaging tariffs on Canada on his first day in office, his team is now indicating those levies won’t come on Day 1.

How Canada is reacting to the inauguration of U.S. President Donald Trump

Jump in number of respiratory cases at B.C. Children's Hospital emergency room

Jump in number of respiratory cases at B.C. Children's Hospital emergency room
British Columbia's Children's Hospital says it's seen a steady rise in the number of children coming in with respiratory symptoms. The hospital says in a statement that about 44 per cent of total visits from children to the emergency department involve respiratory illness. 

Jump in number of respiratory cases at B.C. Children's Hospital emergency room

Vancouver heritage building being demolished over risk of collapse

Vancouver heritage building being demolished over risk of collapse
The building at 500 Dunsmuir St., commonly known as Dunsmuir House, was built in 1909 initially as a hotel. It has also served as barracks for sailors in the Second World War, a Salvation Army home for veterans and later social housing, but has been empty since 2013.

Vancouver heritage building being demolished over risk of collapse

Killer on parole is arrested in B.C. over threats made when his points card failed

Killer on parole is arrested in B.C. over threats made when his points card failed
Police in Vancouver say they've arrested a 66-year-old man for uttering threats against a gas station clerk and only later learned the suspect was a convicted murderer out on parole from a life sentence. They say the alleged threat was made to the attendant on Saturday when the man's points card wouldn't work. 

Killer on parole is arrested in B.C. over threats made when his points card failed

Three children sent to hospital after being hit by vehicle in southern Alberta

Three children sent to hospital after being hit by vehicle in southern Alberta
Police in southern Alberta are investigating after three children were struck by a vehicle. Officers responded to a call after the children — ages 14, seven and five — were hit in a marked crosswalk in Lethbridge, Alta.

Three children sent to hospital after being hit by vehicle in southern Alberta

Finnish developer pitches 250-room floating hotel for Vancouver harbour

Finnish developer pitches 250-room floating hotel for Vancouver harbour
A Finnish developer wants to bring a 250-room floating hotel into Vancouver's harbour. A statement from Sunborn International Holding says the proposed hotel would be 136 metres long and 19.5 metres high, spread out over six floors and connected to the Vancouver Convention Centre by a ramp from the seawall walkway.

Finnish developer pitches 250-room floating hotel for Vancouver harbour