Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

CBC should exit Twitter over new label: expert

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Apr, 2023 09:59 AM
  • CBC should exit Twitter over new label: expert

TORONTO - At least one public policy expert says CBC should leave Twitter after the social media giant labelled its main account as "government-funded media."

Vass Bednar says unless the label issued Sunday changes as quickly as it was applied, the public broadcaster should find other ways to stay connected with Canadians.

The executive director of the Master of Public Policy in Digital Society at McMaster University says an exit from Twitter would be an opportunity for CBC to refresh the public's understanding of how its funded and maintain editorial independence.

Twitter's policies say governments have varying degrees of editorial involvement with accounts labelled as government-funded, but a Sunday statement from CBC media relations director Leon Mar says CBC does not meet those criteria.

CBC is publicly funded through a parliamentary appropriation that is voted upon by all MPs, and its editorial independence is protected in law in the Broadcasting Act.

CBC has not tweeted from its main account since the new label was applied, which Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre started pushing for last week.

MORE National ARTICLES

Woman physically assaulted by man in underground parking lot: Surrey RCMP

Woman physically assaulted by man in underground parking lot: Surrey RCMP
On Thursday, May 5, 2022, at 2:24 a.m., Surrey RCMP received a report of a woman screaming and a fire alarm ringing in the 13500-block of Old Yale Road. Officers attended the area and located a woman who had been physically assaulted by a man in the staircase of an underground parking lot. The man had fled the area prior to police being called.

Woman physically assaulted by man in underground parking lot: Surrey RCMP

17 year old girl's head punched several times in an unprovoked attack on a bus

17 year old girl's head punched several times in an unprovoked attack on a bus
On Friday, April 1, 2022, just before 2 p.m., a 17-year-old girl boarded a route 335 bus headed to Newton Exchange in Surrey, made her way to the back of the bus and sat down. At an unknown point in the journey, a man boarded the same bus and began acting erratically while heading to the back of the bus, where he sat near the teen.

17 year old girl's head punched several times in an unprovoked attack on a bus

Gangster, Jimi Sandhu, who died in plane crash was ex-soldier

Gangster, Jimi Sandhu, who died in plane crash was ex-soldier
Gene Lahrkamp and Matthew Dupre have been accused in the Feb. 4 death of Jimi Sandhu in Phuket and police have said they fled to Canada following the incident.

Gangster, Jimi Sandhu, who died in plane crash was ex-soldier

Tai, Ng pledge closer Canada-U.S. trade ties

Tai, Ng pledge closer Canada-U.S. trade ties
U.S. Trade Representative Katherine Tai was in the national capital for a two-day visit, her first to Canada since President Joe Biden appointed her as his principal international trade emissary last March.

Tai, Ng pledge closer Canada-U.S. trade ties

B.C. aims to support repeat offenders

B.C. aims to support repeat offenders
Attorney General David Eby said a small group of people is creating disorder and chaos, mostly in downtown cores, as businesses are trying to recover from the pandemic.

B.C. aims to support repeat offenders

Remains of young girl found in Toronto dumpster

Remains of young girl found in Toronto dumpster
Investigators said they have not been able to determine the girl's cause of death, nor do they know just when she might have died, but they think her remains were placed in the dumpster sometime between last Thursday and Monday.

Remains of young girl found in Toronto dumpster