Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

CBC should exit Twitter over new label: expert

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Apr, 2023 09:59 AM
  • CBC should exit Twitter over new label: expert

TORONTO - At least one public policy expert says CBC should leave Twitter after the social media giant labelled its main account as "government-funded media."

Vass Bednar says unless the label issued Sunday changes as quickly as it was applied, the public broadcaster should find other ways to stay connected with Canadians.

The executive director of the Master of Public Policy in Digital Society at McMaster University says an exit from Twitter would be an opportunity for CBC to refresh the public's understanding of how its funded and maintain editorial independence.

Twitter's policies say governments have varying degrees of editorial involvement with accounts labelled as government-funded, but a Sunday statement from CBC media relations director Leon Mar says CBC does not meet those criteria.

CBC is publicly funded through a parliamentary appropriation that is voted upon by all MPs, and its editorial independence is protected in law in the Broadcasting Act.

CBC has not tweeted from its main account since the new label was applied, which Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre started pushing for last week.

MORE National ARTICLES

Countrywide action on handguns needed, groups say

Countrywide action on handguns needed, groups say
In a new letter to Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino, several high-profile groups call instead for countrywide measures to phase out the private ownership of handguns.

Countrywide action on handguns needed, groups say

Canada needs robust COVID-19 system: experts

Canada needs robust COVID-19 system: experts
Dr. Caroline Colijn, a mathematician and epidemiologist at Simon Fraser University, said there are currently "too many infections" in Canada to expand access to PCR tests to everyone to find out the true number of infections.

Canada needs robust COVID-19 system: experts

14 burials at former residential school

14 burials at former residential school
The National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation has a record of 49 student deaths there. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s final report called the George Gordon school one of the worst run in the entire residential school system.

14 burials at former residential school

TransLink unveils first 10 years of Transport 2050 priorities

TransLink unveils first 10 years of Transport 2050 priorities
10-Year Priorities, TransLink is proposing an expansion of the SkyTrain network, an unprecedented increase in local bus service, and introducing high-capacity Bus Rapid Transit.

TransLink unveils first 10 years of Transport 2050 priorities

Illegal tenants evicted from problem property after cops visit 27 times: Langley RCMP

Illegal tenants evicted from problem property after cops visit 27 times: Langley RCMP
Over the last year, Langley RCMP has attended one property in Willoughby 27 times! These calls for service were very rarely minor in nature and included a shooting, a home invasion, drugs and weapons. Virtually every team within Langley RCMP as well as some integrated units attended the residence to deal with issues arising.

Illegal tenants evicted from problem property after cops visit 27 times: Langley RCMP

B.C. court certifies class-action against WestJet

B.C. court certifies class-action against WestJet
The decision from a three-member panel released Tuesday, overturns a lower-court ruling that dismissed the application filed in 2016 by former WestJet employee Mandalena Lewis.

B.C. court certifies class-action against WestJet