Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 12:36 PM
  • Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

The charges against three pro-Palestinian activists accused of criminally harassing federal Immigration Minister Marc Miller have been dropped.

The activists' lawyer, Barbara Bedont, said today the charges were withdrawn on Nov. 29 after the three accused presented video that countered the allegations against them.

Mohanned Mansour, Samar Elkahlout and Wendy Ing had been charged with criminal harassment and mischief for allegedly damaging a car that Miller was in, outside a Montreal Liberal byelection office in September.

Elkahlout, also known as Samar Alkhdour, has been holding regular sit-ins outside Miller's Montreal office to protest the death of her 13-year-old daughter, who died in the Gaza Strip waiting for permission to come to Canada.

Bedont says in an interview that her clients deserve an apology from Miller and that the minister should meet with them.

A spokesperson says Miller won't comment on the case, adding that the minister's Montreal office will remain closed until the safety of his staff can be ensured.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Large scale theft at Lululemon

Large scale theft at Lululemon
Two men have been arrested in connection with what police describe as a large-scale theft operation targeting Lululemon stores across the Lower Mainland. Metro Vancouver Transit Police say a 39-year-old man was arrested in April as he was making a getaway at Burnaby's Metrotown SkyTrain station.

Large scale theft at Lululemon

Banff residents vote against downtown pedestrian zone in plebiscite

Banff residents vote against downtown pedestrian zone in plebiscite
Banff residents have given a thumbs down to a pedestrian zone in the community's downtown, rejecting the idea in a plebiscite Monday. The Town of Banff posted unofficial results of the vote on its website, saying 1,328 votes were cast against the town council's decision to have a pedestrian zone on Banff Avenue every summer, from the May long weekend to Thanksgiving long weekend.

Banff residents vote against downtown pedestrian zone in plebiscite

Focus on recovery after fire's 'heartbreaking' destruction: mayor of Slocan

Focus on recovery after fire's 'heartbreaking' destruction: mayor of Slocan
Jessica Lunn, mayor of Slocan in British Columbia's Kootenay region, said she drove along Highway 6 this week to survey the damage done by a nearby complex of fires that forced the evacuations of hundreds and destroyed homes along the road. Lunn, who said attention was now turning to recovery, called the losses "heartbreaking," although she couldn't see the damaged buildings from the newly reopened section of highway.

Focus on recovery after fire's 'heartbreaking' destruction: mayor of Slocan

Wildfire smoke causing air quality and visibility issues in northern Manitoba

Wildfire smoke causing air quality and visibility issues in northern Manitoba
Many parts of northern Manitoba are under an air quality warning due to wildfire smoke, which is also causing reduced visibility. Environment and Climate Change Canada says the amount of smoke can fluctuate over short distances and can vary considerably from hour to hour.

Wildfire smoke causing air quality and visibility issues in northern Manitoba

Calgary daycares shut down by Alberta government over safety concerns pushing back

Calgary daycares shut down by Alberta government over safety concerns pushing back
The operators of three Calgary child-care facilities shut down this week are speaking out against the Alberta government's inspection process, saying they've been discriminated against. The Calgary programs were forced to close Monday, with the government citing "an imminent danger to the health, safety and well-being of children attending the programs."

Calgary daycares shut down by Alberta government over safety concerns pushing back

Why it took nearly a year to link multiple Listeria cases to some plant-based milks

Why it took nearly a year to link multiple Listeria cases to some plant-based milks
The Public Health Agency of Canada says it was only after multiple Listeria cases emerged in Ontario in June that it recognized a broader outbreak that had started back in August 2023. Questions have swirled around why it took nearly a year for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency to announce a national recall of several Silk and Great Value plant-based milk products on July 8.

Why it took nearly a year to link multiple Listeria cases to some plant-based milks