Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 12:36 PM
  • Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

The charges against three pro-Palestinian activists accused of criminally harassing federal Immigration Minister Marc Miller have been dropped.

The activists' lawyer, Barbara Bedont, said today the charges were withdrawn on Nov. 29 after the three accused presented video that countered the allegations against them.

Mohanned Mansour, Samar Elkahlout and Wendy Ing had been charged with criminal harassment and mischief for allegedly damaging a car that Miller was in, outside a Montreal Liberal byelection office in September.

Elkahlout, also known as Samar Alkhdour, has been holding regular sit-ins outside Miller's Montreal office to protest the death of her 13-year-old daughter, who died in the Gaza Strip waiting for permission to come to Canada.

Bedont says in an interview that her clients deserve an apology from Miller and that the minister should meet with them.

A spokesperson says Miller won't comment on the case, adding that the minister's Montreal office will remain closed until the safety of his staff can be ensured.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Knife attack in Nanaimo by a man wearing a bra on his head

Knife attack in Nanaimo by a man wearing a bra on his head
R-C-M-P say the attacker swung the knives at the man, attempting to stab him, but the large dog lunged and bit him before the dog's owner used his martial arts training to incapacitate the other man and take control of the knives.

Knife attack in Nanaimo by a man wearing a bra on his head

Fatal shooting in Winnipeg followed soccer game, police say it was not random

Fatal shooting in Winnipeg followed soccer game, police say it was not random
Winnipeg police are investigating a shooting in the parking lot of a soccer complex that left a 22-year-old man dead. Police say they were called to the scene late Saturday night, after the final game of the Canada African Cup of Nations soccer tournament, and found a man with gunshot wounds.

Fatal shooting in Winnipeg followed soccer game, police say it was not random

Highway improvements coming to B.C. northwest, including better Wi-Fi access

Highway improvements coming to B.C. northwest, including better Wi-Fi access
The B.C. and federal governments are jointly providing $195 million for a series of highway improvements in Tahltan Nation territory in the province's northwest. A statement from B.C.'s Ministry of Energy, Mines and Low Carbon Innovation says the funding will enhance road safety, while improving access to services for local communities and for development of critical minerals. 

Highway improvements coming to B.C. northwest, including better Wi-Fi access

Single-use plastic bags banned as next round of B.C. plastic regulations kicks in

Single-use plastic bags banned as next round of B.C. plastic regulations kicks in
Plastic shopping bags and other single-use products are no longer available at British Columbia stores as the government implements the latest step in its plan to phaseout certain plastic items and keep harmful chemicals out of landfills. Businesses may no longer provide single-use plastic shopping bags, and they must charge a minimum of $2 for new reusable bags or 25 cents for new paper bags.

Single-use plastic bags banned as next round of B.C. plastic regulations kicks in

Storms and wind moving in for part of B.C., boosting fire potential: wildfire service

Storms and wind moving in for part of B.C., boosting fire potential: wildfire service
Thunderstorms will be rolling into eastern B.C. by mid-week and winds will pick up, which the BC Wildfire Service says has the potential to increase fire activity in the province. The service says the hot and dry trend that has already led to increased fire activity will continue throughout the southern half of B.C.

Storms and wind moving in for part of B.C., boosting fire potential: wildfire service

Trucker who caused Broncos crash applies to have permanent resident status returned

Trucker who caused Broncos crash applies to have permanent resident status returned
The truck driver who caused the deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash has applied to have his permanent resident status returned. The Immigration and Refugee Board issued a deportation order in May for Jaskirat Singh Sidhu and his permanent resident status was revoked.

Trucker who caused Broncos crash applies to have permanent resident status returned