Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 12:36 PM
  • Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

The charges against three pro-Palestinian activists accused of criminally harassing federal Immigration Minister Marc Miller have been dropped.

The activists' lawyer, Barbara Bedont, said today the charges were withdrawn on Nov. 29 after the three accused presented video that countered the allegations against them.

Mohanned Mansour, Samar Elkahlout and Wendy Ing had been charged with criminal harassment and mischief for allegedly damaging a car that Miller was in, outside a Montreal Liberal byelection office in September.

Elkahlout, also known as Samar Alkhdour, has been holding regular sit-ins outside Miller's Montreal office to protest the death of her 13-year-old daughter, who died in the Gaza Strip waiting for permission to come to Canada.

Bedont says in an interview that her clients deserve an apology from Miller and that the minister should meet with them.

A spokesperson says Miller won't comment on the case, adding that the minister's Montreal office will remain closed until the safety of his staff can be ensured.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. establishes largest provincial park in a decade to protect threatened caribou

B.C. establishes largest provincial park in a decade to protect threatened caribou
A major provincial park expansion will create a protection zone of almost 2,000 square kilometres for caribou and other species in northeastern British Columbia. The Ministry of Environment says in a statement that the addition to the Klinse-za Park will make it the largest provincial park established in the province in a decade.

B.C. establishes largest provincial park in a decade to protect threatened caribou

Dangerous driver arrested in Coquitlam

Dangerous driver arrested in Coquitlam
RCMP are crediting their Air Services team with helping in the arrest of a dangerous driver in Coquitlam. The Mounties say a motorcyclist was seen speeding and weaving in and out of traffic along Coast Meridian Road near David Avenue on May 31st.

Dangerous driver arrested in Coquitlam

3 arrested in drug seizure

3 arrested in drug seizure
Mounties in Prince George say they arrested three people after executing a search warrant at a home in the city. They say officers found about 50 grams of suspected methamphetamine, 60 grams of suspected fentanyl, four replica firearms, ammunition, two-thousand dollars in cash and other drug trafficking paraphernalia at the home on Nicholson Street.

3 arrested in drug seizure

Man allegedly assaulted in Burnaby

Man allegedly assaulted in Burnaby
Mounties in Burnaby are investigating an alleged assault of a 55-year-old man who was walking on trail in the city's Central Park yesterday morning. They say that around 8 a-m, the victim was assaulted by a man with a large stick in an area between the pool and the gazebo.

Man allegedly assaulted in Burnaby

Pope Francis meets with Trudeau, warns leaders to approach AI responsibly

Pope Francis meets with Trudeau, warns leaders to approach AI responsibly
Pope Francis met with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Friday at the G7 summit, where the pontiff warned leaders about the dangers of artificial intelligence and counselled them to centre humanity in its development. Francis became the first pope to address G7 leaders, offering an ethical take on an issue that is increasingly on the agenda of international summits, government policy and corporate boards alike.

Pope Francis meets with Trudeau, warns leaders to approach AI responsibly

Federal minister tells B.C. Ottawa continues to back RCMP contract policing

Federal minister tells B.C. Ottawa continues to back RCMP contract policing
The letter provides short-term certainty for contract policing in B.C., while indicating the federal government wants to reform how the Mounties operate, Premier David Eby said Thursday. He said it describes the federal government's plan to move the RCMP towards a federal police force "like the FBI in the United States."

Federal minister tells B.C. Ottawa continues to back RCMP contract policing