Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 12:36 PM
  • Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

The charges against three pro-Palestinian activists accused of criminally harassing federal Immigration Minister Marc Miller have been dropped.

The activists' lawyer, Barbara Bedont, said today the charges were withdrawn on Nov. 29 after the three accused presented video that countered the allegations against them.

Mohanned Mansour, Samar Elkahlout and Wendy Ing had been charged with criminal harassment and mischief for allegedly damaging a car that Miller was in, outside a Montreal Liberal byelection office in September.

Elkahlout, also known as Samar Alkhdour, has been holding regular sit-ins outside Miller's Montreal office to protest the death of her 13-year-old daughter, who died in the Gaza Strip waiting for permission to come to Canada.

Bedont says in an interview that her clients deserve an apology from Miller and that the minister should meet with them.

A spokesperson says Miller won't comment on the case, adding that the minister's Montreal office will remain closed until the safety of his staff can be ensured.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Federal NDP want a price cap on grocery store staples, Liberals say it won't work

Federal NDP want a price cap on grocery store staples, Liberals say it won't work
The federal New Democrats want a price cap on grocery store staples if the Liberal government can't convince grocers to bring down the prices themselves. In Europe, some countries have implemented similar measures, and while it's something Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne said he has looked into, he doesn't think it's a good idea.

Federal NDP want a price cap on grocery store staples, Liberals say it won't work

88th Ave closed between 164St and 160 St due to a heavy police presence

88th Ave closed between 164St and 160 St due to a heavy police presence
Surrey RCMP are currently responding to an unfolding event at a single family residence in the area of 88 Ave. There is a heavy police presence in that neighbourhood at this time & there is no risk to public safety. 88 Ave is currently closed b/w 164 St & 160 St, including 162 St.

88th Ave closed between 164St and 160 St due to a heavy police presence

'A slap in the face': B.C. mayors decry being rejected for federal disaster relief

'A slap in the face': B.C. mayors decry being rejected for federal disaster relief
The mayors of Merritt, Princeton and Abbotsford want the rejections reconsidered and say they received no details about why their requests to the Disaster Mitigation and Adaptation Fund failed, other than being told their lengthy applications were missing information.

'A slap in the face': B.C. mayors decry being rejected for federal disaster relief

Pharmacare bill passes in the House of Commons, heads to the Senate

Pharmacare bill passes in the House of Commons, heads to the Senate
The Liberals' pharmacare bill is headed to the Senate after passing third reading in the House of Commons. The bill was the result of careful and lengthy negotiations between the Liberals and the New Democrats as a key element of their political pact to prevent an early election.

Pharmacare bill passes in the House of Commons, heads to the Senate

White Rock woman charged in theft

White Rock woman charged in theft
A 36-year-old White Rock woman is facing several charges including break and enter, theft and possession of stolen goods, after an alert neighbour in Tsawwassen called police to report a robbery. Delta police say it happened around 4:20 this morning when the neighbour saw a man and woman removing property from the home's garage and putting it in a nearby minivan.

White Rock woman charged in theft

Hackers may have accessed 22 B.C. government inboxes, data on 19 employees: Farnworth

Hackers may have accessed 22 B.C. government inboxes, data on 19 employees: Farnworth
Twenty-two British Columbia government email inboxes with sensitive personal information on 19 employees may have been accessed during a cyber attack on the province's networks, the minister of public safety said on Monday. Mike Farnworth said there's no indication the general public's information was compromised and investigators have not identified any misuse of the information the criminals may have accessed.

Hackers may have accessed 22 B.C. government inboxes, data on 19 employees: Farnworth