Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Dec, 2024 12:36 PM
  • Charges dropped for Palestinian activists who protested federal immigration minister

The charges against three pro-Palestinian activists accused of criminally harassing federal Immigration Minister Marc Miller have been dropped.

The activists' lawyer, Barbara Bedont, said today the charges were withdrawn on Nov. 29 after the three accused presented video that countered the allegations against them.

Mohanned Mansour, Samar Elkahlout and Wendy Ing had been charged with criminal harassment and mischief for allegedly damaging a car that Miller was in, outside a Montreal Liberal byelection office in September.

Elkahlout, also known as Samar Alkhdour, has been holding regular sit-ins outside Miller's Montreal office to protest the death of her 13-year-old daughter, who died in the Gaza Strip waiting for permission to come to Canada.

Bedont says in an interview that her clients deserve an apology from Miller and that the minister should meet with them.

A spokesperson says Miller won't comment on the case, adding that the minister's Montreal office will remain closed until the safety of his staff can be ensured.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadians feel grocery inflation getting worse, 18% are boycotting Loblaw: poll

Canadians feel grocery inflation getting worse, 18% are boycotting Loblaw: poll
Almost two-thirds of Canadians feel that inflation at the grocery store is getting worse, a new poll suggests, even as food inflation has been steadily cooling. A new Leger survey found that almost 30 per cent of Canadians believe food inflation has been primarily caused by grocery stores trying to increase profit margins. Another 26 per cent think it’s mostly due to global economic factors, while one in five blame the federal government

Canadians feel grocery inflation getting worse, 18% are boycotting Loblaw: poll

Indian international students most likely to live in unsuitable housing, StatCan says

Indian international students most likely to live in unsuitable housing, StatCan says
The study, which was based on the most recent census data, says Indian students were more likely to live in unsuitable housing than students from other countries. In Brampton, Ont. and Surrey, B.C., the municipalities with the largest proportions of Indian students, more than 60 per cent of international students were living in unsuitable housing.

Indian international students most likely to live in unsuitable housing, StatCan says

Freeland says capital gains proposal will be tabled before summer break

Freeland says capital gains proposal will be tabled before summer break
The Liberal government will bring its proposal to increase the inclusion rate on capital gains to the House of Commons before the parliamentary summer break, Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday.

Freeland says capital gains proposal will be tabled before summer break

Cooler, wetter weather aids B.C. wildfire fight in northeast

Cooler, wetter weather aids B.C. wildfire fight in northeast
The BC Wildfire Service says cooler, wetter conditions are allowing crews to make progress in their firefight in the province's northeast where thousands of evacuees remain out of their homes for a second week. The service says the more seasonable weather is expected to persist until Wednesday.

Cooler, wetter weather aids B.C. wildfire fight in northeast

Killer Robert Pickton in life-threatening condition after Quebec prison attack

Killer Robert Pickton in life-threatening condition after Quebec prison attack
Correctional Service Canada has confirmed that B.C. serial killer Robert Pickton was the inmate injured in a "major assault" Sunday at a Quebec prison. Quebec provincial police said Tuesday that 74-year-old Picktonwas taken to hospital with injuries that were considered life-threatening.  

Killer Robert Pickton in life-threatening condition after Quebec prison attack

Surrey Board of Trade calls for review of sex offender regulations, protocols

Surrey Board of Trade calls for review of sex offender regulations, protocols
The Surrey Board of Trade says it is joining Mayor Brenda Locke in "urgently calling" for a comprehensive review of laws and protocols around high-risk sex offenders.  Board President Anita Huberman says in an open letter to B.C. Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth and Attorney General Niki Sharma that the board is concerned and frustrated about the recent release of a 29-year-old, who lives in Surrey and was convicted of sexually assaulting two women in 2017.

Surrey Board of Trade calls for review of sex offender regulations, protocols