Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Japanese Canadian paper, pillar for community during war, saved from digital oblivion

Japanese Canadian paper, pillar for community during war, saved from digital oblivion
More than eighty years ago, Japanese Canadians came together to sustain The New Canadian, the only newspaper specifically for the community that was allowed to be published through the Second World War. Now the community has come together again — and may have saved the newspaper's archives from the digital scrap heap.

Japanese Canadian paper, pillar for community during war, saved from digital oblivion

SUV allegedly rams into police car

SUV allegedly rams into police car
Surrey Mounties say they got a call about a suspicious vehicle around 146 Street and 108 Avenue, and the driver of a Ford S-U-V allegedly hit a police vehicle as it fled from officers.  Surrey R-C-M-P says the S-U-V also hit another vehicle that was stopped and later drove into oncoming traffic as police were in pursuit. 

SUV allegedly rams into police car

One-third of Canadians report being personally impacted by severe weather: poll

One-third of Canadians report being personally impacted by severe weather: poll
A new poll suggests more Canadians are feeling the direct impacts of extreme weather, but that has not changed overall opinions about climate change. The results from a recent Leger poll suggest more than one in three Canadians have been touched directly by extreme weather such as forest fires, heat waves, floods or tornadoes. 

One-third of Canadians report being personally impacted by severe weather: poll

Former U.S. ambassador to Canada gives 'tsunami warning' about Trump

Former U.S. ambassador to Canada gives 'tsunami warning' about Trump
A former United States ambassador to Canada is sounding the alarm that a second Donald Trump presidency would cause chaos for Canadians as he urged Americans abroad that their votes could prove crucial in the presidential election. Bruce Heyman, who served as ambassador from 2014 to 2017, gave Canada a “tsunami warning,” saying if Trump takes the White House, Canada is at great risk.  

Former U.S. ambassador to Canada gives 'tsunami warning' about Trump

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers
Rail commuters in British Columbia's Lower Mainland must find alternative transportation after Canada's two major railways locked out workers in their first-ever simultaneous stoppage. A bulletin from TransLink, Metro Vancouver's transportation network, says service on the West Coast Express is suspended due to the stoppage, which follows a break down in talks with the union.

B.C. commuters left without West Coast Express as railways lock out workers

1M dollar investor theft in North Vancouver

1M dollar investor theft in North Vancouver
A North Vancouver man has been sentenced to three years in prison after stealing close to one-million dollars U-S from investors. The B-C Securities Commission says Ward Derek Jensen was sentenced in provincial court after pleading guilty to theft over five-thousand dollars.

1M dollar investor theft in North Vancouver