Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary
RCMP in Alberta say one of two suspects wanted in a deadly shooting east of Calgary last week has been arrested, but the search continues for the other. With assistance from the Edmonton Police Service, Mounties announced Monday night they arrested a 35-year-old suspect in the Alberta capital on August 8.

Suspect arrested, second sought in deadly shooting east of Calgary

Debit card theft in New Westminster

Debit card theft in New Westminster
The New Westminster Police Department has issued a pickpocketing warning after a woman had her debit card stolen and lost over two-thousand dollars. Police say the victim’s card was stolen and then the card was used for 25 hundred dollars in purchases and withdrawals. 

Debit card theft in New Westminster

Driver dead, passenger injured in highway crash near Savona

Driver dead, passenger injured in highway crash near Savona
Police in British Columbia's southern Interior say a single-vehicle crash on the Trans-Canada Highway east of Savona has killed one person.  RCMP say they were called Sunday to respond to the crash involving two women from the Metro Vancouver community of Port Coquitlam.

Driver dead, passenger injured in highway crash near Savona

Third person dies in Listeria outbreak linked to plant-based milks

Third person dies in Listeria outbreak linked to plant-based milks
The Public Health Agency of Canada says a third person has died in a Listeria outbreak connected to Great Value and Silk plant-based milks. The agency says there are now 20 confirmed cases of listeriosis in Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and Alberta. 

Third person dies in Listeria outbreak linked to plant-based milks

Chief human-rights commissioner resigns after investigation into Israel comments

Chief human-rights commissioner resigns after investigation into Israel comments
The recently appointed chief commissioner of the Canadian Human Rights Commission said Monday that he agreed to resign after an investigation into his past comments related to Israel. Birju Dattani has previously denied allegations that he made anti-Israel statements, including what Conservatives characterize as a "justification of terrorism."

Chief human-rights commissioner resigns after investigation into Israel comments

Thunderstorms, lightning in forecast with more than 400 wildfires burning in B.C.

Thunderstorms, lightning in forecast with more than 400 wildfires burning in B.C.
Little rain and a lot of lightning is fuelling wildfire activity in British Columbia.  The BC Wildfire service says lightning has been the spark behind more than 80 per cent of nearly 260 new blazes over the last week.

Thunderstorms, lightning in forecast with more than 400 wildfires burning in B.C.