Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Remote access fraud in New Westminster

Remote access fraud in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster have issued a warning about what they call "remote access" or "tech support" scams, after a member of the public reported that someone else had accessed the cryptocurrency wallet on his phone. Police say the scams often begin with the victim receiving an unsolicited phone call, or they may click on a pop-up message while browsing the Internet.

Remote access fraud in New Westminster

Forgery lab discovered in Richmond

Forgery lab discovered in Richmond
Mounties in Richmond say a search warrant led to the discovery of what they describe as a "sophisticated forged identification lab." R-C-M-P say they conducted the search in December 2022, and criminal charges were approved against a man in early May this year. 

Forgery lab discovered in Richmond

1 in hospital in serious crash

1 in hospital in serious crash
Police in Metro Vancouver are looking for witnesses to a serious crash that sent one person to hospital yesterday morning. Delta Police say it happened along River Road at around 8 a-m, when a white Volkswagen Jetta collided with a semi-truck.

1 in hospital in serious crash

Dry, hot spell to return to southern B.C. after rains, cooler weather dampen fires

Dry, hot spell to return to southern B.C. after rains, cooler weather dampen fires
Emergency Management Minister Bowinn Ma said the weather has offered "much-needed relief" to communities and firefighting crews. Several evacuation orders and alerts have been lifted around the Antler and Shetland creek blazes, she said.

Dry, hot spell to return to southern B.C. after rains, cooler weather dampen fires

Edmonton man sentenced to five years in prison in terrorism case in United Kingdom

Edmonton man sentenced to five years in prison in terrorism case in United Kingdom
An Edmonton man has been sentenced to five years in prison after being convicted in the United Kingdom of being a member of a proscribed terrorist group. RCMP say Khaled Hussein, a Canadian citizen, also received one year on probation.

Edmonton man sentenced to five years in prison in terrorism case in United Kingdom

Privy Council to continue anti-racism efforts, clerk says after report release

Privy Council to continue anti-racism efforts, clerk says after report release
The head of the federal public service says he is personally committed to "continuous action" to address racism and discrimination in the workplace, following the public release of an internal report that details employees' troubling experiences on the job. 

Privy Council to continue anti-racism efforts, clerk says after report release