Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Richmond fraud victim loses over 1M

Richmond fraud victim loses over 1M
A fraud victim in Richmond has lost more than 1.5 million dollars. R-C-M-P say the victim reported sending the money after people posing as Chinese police officers falsely told them about a supposed outstanding arrest warrant in Hong Kong.

Richmond fraud victim loses over 1M

Man dies in Surrey stabbing

Man dies in Surrey stabbing
Police say they're investigating a fatal stabbing in Surrey last night. R-C-M-P say officers responded to a complaint of a fight along King George Boulevard and arrived to find a man suffering from stab wounds. 

Man dies in Surrey stabbing

House committee launches investigation into purchase of Canada's new $9M condo in NYC

House committee launches investigation into purchase of Canada's new $9M condo in NYC
A House of Commons committee will look into the Liberal government's recent purchase of a $9-million condo in Manhattan for its consul general to New York.  The government operations and estimates committee unanimously agreed today to hold several meetings next month to investigate the purchase. 

House committee launches investigation into purchase of Canada's new $9M condo in NYC

Police identify two women found dead in Vancouver, say deaths aren't connected

Police identify two women found dead in Vancouver, say deaths aren't connected
Police in Vancouver say they have identified the two women whose bodies were found on the shores of English Bay on Sunday and Monday. Sgt. Steve Addison says police now know the women's names and their families have been informed of their deaths.

Police identify two women found dead in Vancouver, say deaths aren't connected

Bracelet thief on the lam

Bracelet thief on the lam
Mounties on Vancouver Island say they're looking for the public's help to find a suspect in a theft investigation after a child's collection of handmade bracelets was stolen from a front porch in Langford. Westshore R-C-M-P say the gemstone bracelets were made for sale by an 11-year-old girl, and were stolen on July 17th off a porch where she had them displayed. 

Bracelet thief on the lam

2 dead in Surrey fires

2 dead in Surrey fires
Police in Surrey say two fires in the city in the last few days have left two people dead in Whalley and Newton. Surrey RCMP say a fire at a home on 112A Avenue on July 20th claimed the life of an 85-year-old woman, but the blaze is not being treated as suspicious. 

2 dead in Surrey fires