Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey female assaulted in her sleep

Surrey female assaulted in her sleep
Surrey RCMP say they are looking for a male suspect after he allegedly got into the residence of a woman and groped the victim in her sleep. Police say officers responded to the call on Saturday morning in the 141-hundred block of 91 Avenue.

Surrey female assaulted in her sleep

Motorcyclist killed in crash with fire truck in Vancouver

Motorcyclist killed in crash with fire truck in Vancouver
A motorcyclist has died after a collision involving a Vancouver fire truck responding to a call. Vancouver Fire Rescue Services say in a statement that the crash happened this afternoon near Lost Lagoon on the Stanley Park Causeway.

Motorcyclist killed in crash with fire truck in Vancouver

Interior residents get ready to flee as B.C. fire tally soars past 300

Interior residents get ready to flee as B.C. fire tally soars past 300
It's the first time The Inn at Spences Bridge has been empty since April. Dorothy Boragno, who owns the inn with her husband Michael Findlay, said Friday they watched thick smoke across the Thompson River from the out-of-control Shetland Creek wildfire that has already forced others to evacuate.

Interior residents get ready to flee as B.C. fire tally soars past 300

B.C. hospitals pivot to paper amid CrowdStrike global technology outage

B.C. hospitals pivot to paper amid CrowdStrike global technology outage
About 50,000 devices in British Columbia hospitals and health facilities were impacted by the CrowdStrike global technology outage, forcing staff to pivot to using paper to manage everything from lab work to meal orders, the province's health minister said.  Adrian Dix said experts began immediately working on the problem, which has impacted computers running Microsoft Windows, and that the systems are beginning to come back online.

B.C. hospitals pivot to paper amid CrowdStrike global technology outage

Body of missing B.C. teenager found in Surrey, RCMP say death is suspicious

Body of missing B.C. teenager found in Surrey, RCMP say death is suspicious
Homicide investigators are looking into the death of a Langley teenager whose body was found in the Port Kells area of Surrey. Surrey RCMP say the body of 17-year-old Wenyan Michael Zhao was found in the 17900-block of 99A Avenue at 5:30 a.m. Friday.

Body of missing B.C. teenager found in Surrey, RCMP say death is suspicious

Proposed class-action lawsuit filed over Calgary water main break

Proposed class-action lawsuit filed over Calgary water main break
A proposed class-action lawsuit has been filed against the City of Calgary, claiming businesses needlessly lost significant revenue due to a water main break. In a statement of claim filed Wednesday, Angel's Cafe, located near the June 5 water main rupture, alleges the city knew the failed pipe was made of lower-grade materials and should have moved to prevent the failure.

Proposed class-action lawsuit filed over Calgary water main break