Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau outlines details of $30B, 10-year fund for public transit

Trudeau outlines details of $30B, 10-year fund for public transit
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says applications are now open for a national transit fund that will include money for existing transit systems so they can expand, improve and modernize. The $30-billion, 10-year Canada Public Transit Fund has been in the works for months and was in the recent federal budget.

Trudeau outlines details of $30B, 10-year fund for public transit

Man dies in Abbotsford prison

Man dies in Abbotsford prison
A man serving a second-degree murder sentence has died in an Abbotsford prison. Correctional Service of Canada says in a statement that Eugene Raymond Benoit died while in custody at the Abbotsford Regional Treatment Centre.

Man dies in Abbotsford prison

Lack of teamwork with Feds: Eby

Lack of teamwork with Feds: Eby
Premier David Eby says working with the federal government can sometimes feel like beating his head against a wall. Eby is in Halifax for a meeting of Canada's premiers, where he told a news conference that he's disappointed in the lack of teamwork with Ottawa.

Lack of teamwork with Feds: Eby

Man in hospital in Nanaimo stabbing

Man in hospital in Nanaimo stabbing
A 52-year-old Nanaimo man was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries after an early morning stabbing last Friday. R-C-M-P say it happened along Fitzwilliam Street in downtown Nanaimo, and the victim was not co-operative with investigators. 

Man in hospital in Nanaimo stabbing

B.C. caps international post-secondary student enrolment at 30 per cent of total

B.C. caps international post-secondary student enrolment at 30 per cent of total
In a statement, the provincial Ministry of Post-Secondary Education and Future Skills says the new limit is meant to make sure that "international student enrolment doesn't strain an institution's ability "to provide appropriate services." 

B.C. caps international post-secondary student enrolment at 30 per cent of total

Torrential rain causes major flooding in Toronto, parts of GTA

Torrential rain causes major flooding in Toronto, parts of GTA
The rest of the Greater Toronto Area, which was also hit by intense downpours, similarly saw flooding disrupt parts of many communities, with portions of highways awash with water and many cars abandoned. 

Torrential rain causes major flooding in Toronto, parts of GTA