Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Nov, 2024 02:31 PM
  • Charges stayed against B.C. Mountie who shot man armed with barbecue skewer

The BC Prosecution Service says it's no longer pursuing charges against a Chilliwack Mountie who shot and wounded a man who was armed with a barbecue skewer, after reviewing expert opinion on the use of force.

It says Const. Keven Biagioni had pleaded not guilty to charges of discharging a firearm with intent, aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm in the January 2021 incident near the Vedder River.

The prosecution service says the case was investigated by the Independent Investigations Office "due to the serious nature of the injuries" suffered by the man, who was shot in the chest.

It says the office determined there were reasonable grounds to believe Biagioni may have committed offences, which led to the charges being laid.

But the service says evidence arose during a preliminary inquiry, which concluded last November, that led to the Crown seeking expert opinion on Biagioni's use of force.

It says the evidence from the expert report caused Crown counsel to re-evaluate their case and the prosecution service has now decided the evidence no longer meets the charge assessment standard, so proceedings have been stayed. 

In its summary of the events, the prosecution service says Biagioni responded to a call from a woman who said her husband assaulted her. 

The summary says the man had fled by the time officers arrived, and his wife told them he had been using crack cocaine and was mentally unstable.

About 90 minutes later, police found the man in his truck near the river. The summary says nine officers were involved in the arrest and all were "designated to use lethal force."

The report says Biagioni fired at the man twice after he held up a 14-inch barbecue skewer, which another officer had identified as a knife. 

The man, who the report says refused orders to drop his weapon, suffered one gunshot wound to the chest but survived.

MORE National ARTICLES

Police in Surrey arrest four just hours after shooting death

Police in Surrey arrest four just hours after shooting death
Police have announced the arrests of four suspects just hours after a man was shot dead in Surrey.  The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says quick co-ordination between Surrey RCMP, Air 1 and the Lower Mainland's emergency response team led to the arrests. 

Police in Surrey arrest four just hours after shooting death

Unknown object hits windshield, driver critical

Unknown object hits windshield, driver critical
Police in Burnaby say a driver is in critical condition in hospital after being struck by an object that crashed through their windshield along Highway 1. R-C-M-P say it happened just before noon yesterday and Highway Patrol officers were searching for the unknown object that seriously injured the driver.

Unknown object hits windshield, driver critical

Two killed in sports car crash at private B.C. racetrack: RCMP

Two killed in sports car crash at private B.C. racetrack: RCMP
Police say two people died when a sports car crashed at a luxury private motorsports club in Oliver, B.C. A statement from the RCMP says the driver of a sports car participating in a private event Wednesday at the Area 27 Motorsports Park failed to navigate a turn and hit a cement barrier at high speed.

Two killed in sports car crash at private B.C. racetrack: RCMP

Liberal government launches $1.5B program to build more co-op housing

Liberal government launches $1.5B program to build more co-op housing
Housing Minister Sean Fraser announced the launch of a $1.5-billion co-operative housing development program that the federal government promised in its 2022 budget. Fraser was in Winnipeg on Thursday to announce the program, which Liberals touted as the largest federal investment in co-op housing in 30 years.

Liberal government launches $1.5B program to build more co-op housing

Good Earth light bars recalled due to fire, burn hazards

Good Earth light bars recalled due to fire, burn hazards
Health Canada and Good Earth Lighting are recalling some rechargeable LED motion-activated light bars because they pose a fire and burn hazard. The affected light bars are 12 inches long and were sold between October 2017 and January 2024.

Good Earth light bars recalled due to fire, burn hazards

A no from me': Ali refuses to hear B.C. murder victim's father ahead of sentencing

A no from me': Ali refuses to hear B.C. murder victim's father ahead of sentencing
A man convicted of murdering a 13-year-old Burnaby, B.C., girl has repeatedly told a pre-sentencing hearing that he didn't kill her, after refusing to listen to his interpreter during an impact statement by the girl's father. A portion of the recorded statement was being played to test equipment ahead of Friday's sentencing hearing for Ibrahim Ali, who faces a life term for the 2017 killing.

A no from me': Ali refuses to hear B.C. murder victim's father ahead of sentencing